151-157 (ODD NOS) QUEEN STREET (ST GEORGE'S BUILDINGS) (Ref:32819)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5915 6534.
David Hamilton, circa 1834. 3-storey and attic
classical office building. Razor-sharp ashlar masonry.
Symmetrial 7 bays.
Entrance at centre, flanked by broad panelled pilasters
and with paired consoles to cornice; "St George's
Buildings" on lintel and 2-leaf panelled doors retained.
Modern shop front to right, with that to left retaining
earlier details, and with panelled pilasters closing
either side; frieze and cornice above. Giant order.
Corinthian pilasters dividing 1st and 2nd floor windows;
taller windows at 1st floor with pilastered jambs and
corniced, distinctive 12-pane glazing pattern; cill
course to architraved, 2nd floor windows. Fluted
entablature above 2nd floor with scrolled acanthus
panels as metopes; dentil cornice above. 3 centre bays
of attic breaking attic cornice with blocking course
above, and round-arched windows flanked by panelled
pilasters. Windows in flanking outer bays with
shouldered surrounds. Slate roof with slate-hung dormer.
Sash and case windows.
Built on site of Hamilton's earlier building in Queen
Street, the Theatre Royal of 1804, which was destroyed
in 1829. Built for Archibald MacLellan. David Walker
demonstrates the influence of Hamilton's use of the
Giant order on Alexander Thomson.
Gomme and Walker 1987, pp.84n, 143, 150, figs.57, 128a.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.