111 QUEEN STREET AND 46-58 (EVEN NOS) ROYAL EXCHANGE SQUARE, GALLERY OF MODERN ART (FORMER STIRLING'S LIBRARY, FORMER CUNNINGHAME MANSION AND FORMER ROYAL EXCHANGE) (Ref:32818)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5912 6528.
E end (former Cunningham Mansion), 1778, altered and
enlarged for Royal Exchange, David Hamilton, 1827-30,
with 2nd E attic by Hamilton, 1880. Sculpture by James
Fillans. Cream and yellow ashlar. 3-storey (2nd as full
attic above cornice), attic to E end, and basement.
E ELEVATION: imposing 7-bay Corinthian, pedimented
portico, octostyle, with giant order on low plinth; full
entablature and pediment and within portico coffered
ceiling. 5 tripartite doorways flanked by windows,
divided by panelled pilasters, cornice above as cill
course for 5 architraved and corniced 1st floor windows.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay. Wide advanced bay at centre with
segmental tripartite window, with Corinthian column
mullions and flanking pilasters, entablature as lintel
and shallow fanlight and Soanic incised detail replacing
architrave. Recessed outer bays with round-arched
windows at ground and small windows above, flanked by
giant Corinthian pilasters. Blocking course above
modillioned cornice raised at centre with diminutive
pedimented crowning details.
N AND S ELEVATIONS: 9 bays to W (Hamilton, circa 1830)
and 5 bays to E (Cunningham Mansion) linked by
modillioned cornice. Corinthian hexastyle screen to W
and, with entablature and parapet, with large anthemion
finials to dies. 5 advanced bays to E with giant
Corinthian pilastrade; doorway at centre of N elevation;
pilaster jambs to corniced windows at ground and
consoled pediments to those at 1st floor; small windows
with shouldered architraves in parapet, with panelled
dies bearing scrolls; slate mansard (1880) with 3
segmental leaded dormer windows each side. Set behind
portico at E end, tall Corinthian peristyle lantern on
channelled masonry base with projecting clock faces, and
with open crown and shallow ogee dome.
Small-pane, margin glazing pattern to ground floor sash
and case windows of E bays, with plate-glass glazing to
round-arched windows, and to sash and case at 1st floor.
INTERIOR: inlaid marble vestibule with coffered ceiling;
scagliola pedimented doorpiece; oval well with
decorative ironwork balustrade; decorative leaded oval
skylight above further inlaid marble floor. Decorative
plasterwork to aisled hall, with massive Corinthian
columns and entablature; flat ceilings above aisles.
Decorative cast-iron, partly gilded, railings and
pedestals front basement area.
Cunningham of Lainshaw commissioned the original mansion. Stirling's Library was formerly housed in Miller Street. Gomme and Walker point out the influence of Soane on the design, especially his Bank of England. Surrounding terraces of square, the Bank at W end (92-100 Buchanan Street), and the Wellington statue are listed separately.
Gomme and Walker 1987. J Swan SELECT VIEWS OF GLASGOW 1829.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.