190 TRONGATE AND 2-4 (EVEN NOS) GLASSFORD STREET (Ref:32789)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5932 6500.
T P Marwick (Edinburgh) with W Birnie Rhind, sculptor,
1903. Mixed renaissance style, for National Bank.
4-storey and attic, commercial building, 4 bays to
Glassford Street, 3 bays to the Trongate plean ashlar,
with polished granite base course and columns.
Channelled ground floor with rounded arrises, banded
GLASSFORD STREET ELEVATION: 3 round-arched bays at
ground to centre and right; off-centre Roman Doric
columned doorpiece set in central arch, with semi-
circular carved panel above, flanked by 2 similarly
headed windows. Smaller architraved and keystoned door in
N bay with small stair windows in 2 storeys above.
Modillion cornice above ground floor. 3 keystoned and
corniced windows with Gibbs surrounds in 1st and 2nd
floors. Corbelled corner turrets rising through 3rd
floor and attic and capped with finialled domes.
Corbelled, Ionic engaged columns divide 3rd floor
windows, modillioned main cornice with elaborate, 3-
stage, aediculed, wallhead gable above with sculpted
TRONGATE ELEVATION: detailed as Glassford Street without
left-hand door and stair window bay; glazing to 3 arches
REAR ELEVATION: ashlar with tall panelled stack rising
from 3rd floor. Steep pyramidal roof and wrought-iron
Small-pane casement windows. Slated French pyramid
roof with decorative iron ridge railings.
Built on site of Shawfield Mansion, by Colen Campbell,
1712, destroyed 1793, and bears a plaque commemorating
this fact. Model exhibited at RSA 1902. Builders were
Muir and Son, Glasgow.
B June 20th 1903. BJ Nov 28th, 1906. Information
courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.