48-54 (EVEN NOS) MILLER STREET, (FORMERLY STIRLING'S LIBRARY) (Ref:32761)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5921 6514.
James Smith, 1863-5, completed after his death by Melvin and Leiper. 3-storey, 7-bay astylar facade to library, in Italian Renaissance design. Cream ashlar with deeply channelled pilasters and outer bays at ground. Wide semi-circular keystoned arches in outer bays (pend at N door with shafted entrance at S), central door and 4 flanking windows, semi-circular, keystoned heads and moulded architraves. Pilastered and bracketted corniced 1st floor windows. Lugged rectangular blind panels in 2nd floor. Entablature over each floor. Main modillion cornice. Scrolled consoles support wallhead stack at centre, with decorative carving. S return, snecked rubble, by pend leading to Virginia Court. REAR: projecting bay to S; 5 remaining bays with stair window flanked by windows at ground and 1st floor. Plate-glass glazing to sash and case windows; small-pane at rear. INTERIOR: library at upper level, galleried with coved ceiling and top lights, all original fittings including bookcases.
Drawings by J Moyr Smith, supervised by Smith. The fittings were by Melvin and Leiper. Stirlings' Library is now housed in the former Royal Exchange, and the earlier building converted to offices, but the Library
hall remains intact.
Information courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. BN vol.xii, pp.292, 312, 367.
Gomme and Walker 1987, p.125m, fig.26. Doak (ed) 1977, 82.
GLASGOW HERALD 12th April 1865.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.