42 MILLER STREET (Ref:32760)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5921 6513.
John Craig, wright, 1775; restored by McGurn, Logan, Duncan & Opfer, 1994-5. Simplified Palladian 2-storey and attic, 5-bay town house. Ashlar front with base course, rusticated quoins and modillion cornice, rubble side elevation, harled rear. 3 central bays slightly advanced, with pediment bearing oculus. Fluted Corinthian pilasters to pedimented doorpiece. Short flight of steps to panelled 2-leaf doors set in cavetto reveals. All windows in architraves, ground floor corniced. 12-pane glazing pattern to timber sash and case windows. Basement windows flanking centre bay with cage grills. Grey slate roof with cast-iron rooflights. Corniced ashlar gablehead stacks. Decorative urns to pediment and quoins.
Passage to Virginia Court at left listed separately. Projecting piend-roofed stairtower off-centre right at rear.
Important surviving example of 18th century mansions which graced the Merchant City. The pediment was possibly intended for sculptural adornment. Built by Craig for himself. The restoration initiated by the Glasgow Building Preservation Trust saw the removal of paint from the masonry, and the late 19th century mansard and plate glass windows replaced with more original forms. It is now known as The Tobacco Merchants House.
Upgraded B to A November 1992.
Gomme and Walker Architecture of Glasgow (1987), p.50, fig.26. Doak (ed) Glasgow at a Glance, No16. Sketch dated 1885, ?House in Miller Street?. Williamson, Riches and Higgs, Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow (1990), p.184.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.