77-81 (ODD NOS) MILLER STREET, ARTHUR'S WAREHOUSE (Ref:32759)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/11/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5920 6522.
Robert Black and James Salmon Sen, 1849-50. Extensive
15-bay (6-3-6), Renaissance style, 3-storey offices,
(now domestic) with emphasis to central bays. Painted
ashlar. Base course, channelled ground floor and deep
GROUND FLOOR: central bays to each section pilastered,
wide entrance to close in left bay of central, slightly
advanced section, now columned window in right;
Venetian windows in both floors above with segmental
shell pediments to central lights and flanking windows.
Paired semi-circular headed lights to central windows of
outer sections at ground floor, 2 windows above with
apron balustrades and segmental shell pediments,
simplified in 2nd. All remaining windows with panelled
pilasters and corniced. Crowning balustraded and solid
die parapet. Decorative cast-iron gates to close.
12-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.
Major watershed in terms of commercial building for
Glasgow, comparable with Royal Bank of Scotland, Gordon
Street. 1849 work was commissioned by Archibald
MacLellan, who had run a coach building company on the
site, destroyed by fire in 1847. Leased Messrs D & J
Macdonald, the largest firm of sewed muslin
manufacturers in Glasgow, until 1855.
Gomme and Walker, 1987, p.109, fig.84. Worsdall,
VICTORIAN CITY 1982, p.52.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.