16 MCPHATER STREET, AND RETURN ELEVATION TO DUNBLANE STREET (OZALID'S) (Ref:32754)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5897 6608.
William James Anderson, 1892-95. Iron-frame, concrete clad warehouse in individualistic Italianate style. 4-storey, 8-bay to Macphater Street, 3-bay flank to Dunblane Street. Outside bays taller and more elaborately detailed. Painted rendered walling.
Mcphater Street elevation: taller pedimented entrance bay to extreme right with balcony over 2nd and large semi-circular window to 3rd, flanked by blind oculi, 3 small lights to dwarf gallery above. To remaining 7 bays, ground floor with wide pilasters or columns dividing bays which are partly glazed with timber mullions and transoms and small pane glazing. Bipartite windows to 1st, thermal windows at 2nd, pilasters divide 1st floor windows supporting moulded archivolts over arched 2nd floor windows. 3rd floor has smaller single and bipartite lights. All sash and case with small pane glazing.
Dunblane Street elevation: 3-bay with right 2 bays detailed as main facade; entrance bay to left, plainer and taller with corbelled out feature at 1st floor giving tower effect. Cornice over ground and forming 3rd floor cills, heavy eaves cornice, scalloped embattled parapet.
Listed category A for the very advanced construction method. Converted to boarding house, 1895.
Information by courtesy of the Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. Original drawings (August 1892) in Glasgow City Archives Frank Worsdall Collection, Ref A228. Altered and extended eastward by 3 bays and end pavilion in 1895 (Drawings in Worsdall Ref. A229 and D of G 1/3033). Information from Iain Paterson, Glasgow City Council.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.