158 INGRAM STREET, AND 2 JOHN STREET, HUTCHESON'S HOSPITAL (Ref:32744)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/11/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5942 6924.
David Hamilton, architect, 1802-1805, interior recast by John Baird II 1876. Classically detailed with Roman motifs. Built to replace earlier (17th century) Hospital as a home for aged men. 2-storey and attic with tall slender tower and spire. Polished painted ashlar, channelled at ground. INGRAM STREET ELEVATION: 5-bay symmetrical front. Central doorway has Roman Doric porch and double-leaf panelled doors. Plain rectangular windows to ground. 1st floor is double-height with inner 3 bays recessed in the form of a colonnade. Corinthian columns in antis flank large square-headed consoled windows with panel frieze above. To end bays Corinthian pilasters flank niches (an alteration of 1824) with statues of George and Thomas Hutcheson (the founders) carved in 1649 by JAMES COLQUHOUN, and resited from the original 17th-century Hospital. The glazing is 6-pane to 1st, 2-pane to ground with partly leaded coloured glass to lower panes. Colonnade supports frieze with inscription recording the founders, cornice and blocking course. Above this scroll pediment to centre, to end bays oval "Roman" alters as finial feature linked by balustrade. JOHN STREET ELEVATION: simpler elevation of 2 wide bays. Pilastered doorpiece to left, tripartite window to right. To 1st shallow pedimented tripartites with consoles. These are flanked by paired pilasters. Cornice with solid deep parapet above, tripartite attic windows, that to right blind. Wallhead corniced stack with octagonal cans. TOWER: square based, 4-stage tower with slim needle spire. 1st stage with round-arched window, 2nd with louvred openings flanked by paired Tuscan columns set across angle. These support projecting cornice; clock face to 3rd stage. 4th stage Ionic tempietto from which rises spire surmounted by gilded orb and cross. INTERIOR: completely recast by John Baird II in 1876, in heavy classical style with lavish detail. Main Hall to 1st floor, windows and doors with heavy architraves and pediments supported on moulded consoles, double-leaf panelled doors. Windows with painted glass panels to upper and lower parts. Panelling to wainscott level throughout. 2 chimneypieces with Ionic columns supporting elaborate entablature. Ceiling divided into 3 sections with moulded dentil cornice and good ceiling rose, decorative iron ventilators. Scale and platt stair with carved timber balusters.
Important street scape value as formal end to Hutcheson
Street. Owned by National Trust for Scotland.
Gomme and Walker 1987, p. . Doak (ed) 1977. Information
by courtesy of the Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.