191 INGRAM STREET, LANARKSHIRE HOUSE, CORINTHIAN (FORMER SHERIFF COURT AND JUSTICE OF PEACE COURT) (Ref:32735)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5930 6523.
John Burnet Sen, 1876-9, banking premises, refronting of David Hamilton's earlier bank, 1841. Imposing Free Venetian front to 7-bays to Ingram Street. 3-storeys. Ashlar, channelled at ground and 1st floors. Imposing central entrance with broken pediment supported on heavy consoles and enclosing sculptured figures supporting crest. Segmental headed windows to ground floor. 1st floor windows deeply recessed behind Roman Doric pilastrade, entablature above, supporting mannered Corinthian colonnade at 2nd floor in front of round arched windows; sculptured figures by John Mossman in narrow spaces between windows. Panelled heavily bracketted main modillion cornice, balustrade die parapet. Similar detail to 1 return bay to E and W. VIRGINIA STREET: James Salmon Sen, 1853, single storey banking chamber, now divided, at rear; (channelled pilasters and lower E elevation) rounded corners; pilastered and corniced windows, entablature and parapet; sculptured panels in round-arched windowheads to tripartite at centre, carved heraldic details to the segmental windowheads flanking, and to parapet bay above centre, with urn finialled dies. Leaded, glazed hemispherical cupola with drum ventilator. Plate-glass glazing. Decorative cast-and wrought-iron 2-leaf gates. Lavish Interior
Hamilton had incorporated Buchanan Mansion, originally on this site, in his design. GLASGOW COURIER 2nd January 1830 referred to sale of "tenement built in very substantial manner within these few years". In 1853, James Salmon had created the Telling Room for Hamilton's bank. Certain interior rooms were restored by John Stewart of Motherwell in 1933, others restored in 1990's.
APSD. Information courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. Gomme and Walker 1987, pp. 158f, 266n, 200n, fig. 136.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.