177 INGRAM STREET WITH 99 GLASSFORD STREET (Ref:32734)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5933 6522.
John Burnet, 1865-66, 3-storey and basement, Italianate banking premises in Glassford Street, with J J Burnet (Son) addition of single storey banking hall in Ingram Street, 1894-6 and further storey to earlier property, 1898-99. Sculpture by George Frampton. Cream ashlar
sandstone, channelled at ground.
GLASSFORD STREET: symmetrical, 7-bay. Channelled pilastered doorpiece with broken segmental pediment and cartouche flanked by lion and unicorn; tall windows flanking at ground. Mutuled cornice over ground floor. All windows architrave. Tripartite window, (broken by door pediment) at 1st floor, with consoled cornice; corniced windows flanking smaller windows to 2nd floor with carved panels flanking centre window. Frieze above with cornice and balustrade to Doric columned loggia of 3rd floor, added by J J Burnet (Son), with 8 round-arched windows main modillion cornice. Similar details over 8 bays behind banking hall on Ingram Street elevation.
INGRAM STREET BANKING HALL: recessed bay at centre with wide composite columned entrance, cartouche in shallow segmental pediment above door, enclosed by open and broken pediment on crouching Atlantes, enclosing aediculed niche with figure of St Mungo by George Frampton; carved
panels and urn finials to parapet die flanking entrance bay. Broken and open segmental pediments to windows in outer bays, sheltering initialled cartouches, and with cavetto reveals. Dentil row below mutuled cornice; rounded corners, slightly recessed and with taller parapets each adorned with carved panel. Return elevations each with tripartite window at centre set in Ionic and Doric flanked, slightly recessed bays, and each with broken, open segmental pediment, and cartouched segmental over centre light, but without aediculed niche. Dome above hall, leaded and glazed, crowned by diminutive, domed stone tempietto with obelisk finial. Variety of glazing patterns; modern windows at ground, plate-glass sash and case at 1st and 2nd floors and casements below semi-circular fanlights of 3rd floor. Partly gilded 2-leaf decorative wrought-iron gates.
INTERIOR OF BANKING HALL: fine Edwardian Baroque interior, currently serving as the main entrance to bank, since modification of 1975. Ornate plasterwork, fine woodwork including benches and masques to consoled counter; 2 sets of gilded 2-leaf gates to earlier building. Fine stained glass windows, including oculi of dome. Marble columns.
J J Burnet (Son) modified his original design to an arcaded 3rd floor after the RSA exhibition of 1896. David Walker has indicated the dome's diminutive reference to that of St Peter's. The sculptures by Frampton were carved by William Sheriffs of Glasgow.
Gomme and Walker 1987, pp.209f, figs. 188f. Worsdall VICTORIAN CITY p.67. RSA Exhibit 1896. Information courtesy of Building of Scotland Research Unit.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.