HIGH STREET GLASGOW CROSS THE TOLBOOTH STEEPLE (Ref:32717)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5965 6490.
Tall early 17th century tower, only surviving fragment of
Glasgow's Tolbooth, built 1626-1634 by John Boyd, architect and
Master of Works. The Tolbooth was demolished in 1921. Seven
stage square tower with open crown spire, ashlar built with
raised buckle-quoins. Moulded string courses between
stages. The steeple fomerly adjoined the Tolbooth at the W.
Roll-moulded and architraved doors to ground are 20th century
work. To each face, except that to W, to upper stages,
roll-moulded windows with decorative strapwork pediments.
7th stage with square clock faces. Corbelled parapet with
projecting square section bartizans. From these rise
flying buttresses supporting crown steeple with gilded
MacKechnie's article suggests the use of the buckle quoin can
be linked to a court style of the early 17th century and the
work of James Murray and William Wallace.
De-scheduled 25 August 1998.
Gomme and Walker, 1987, p44. PSAS 111: 1981 p451.
MacKechnie, ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY, vol 31: 1988, p112.
EXTRACTS FROM THE RECORDS OF THE BURGH OF GLASGOW 1573-1642.
P346ff, published 1876 by the Scottish Burgh Record Society.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.