79-89 (ODD NOS) GLASSFORD STREET, THE TRADES HOUSE (Ref:32713)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5934 6520.
Robert Adam, 1791-9, completed posthumously. David Hamilton extensions at rear 1838, interior recast by James Sellar in 1887-8 partially or totally refaced by John Keppie 1927; 1916 John Keppie redecorated the saloon. 1955 extensive alterations and new trades' hall ceiling by Walter Underwood. Classical building. 2-storey and full attic, symmetrical 7-bay elevation, alternately recessed and advanced. Polished ashlar, rusticated ground floor with bold voussoirs to openings. Various alterations to ground floor openings, including reduction to size of main door and insertion of stained timber windows with panelled aprons. Tall 1st floor with pairs of Ionic columns supporting central pediment; 3 Adam-type Venetian windows in advanced bays (with altered glazing); console pedimented windows in recessed bays. Raised attic over 5 inner bays, central parapet with paterae, supporting Royal Arms. Set back centrally, domed drum with louvred aedicules and leaded cupola. Outer bays raised from single storey by Sellars (1887). 2 bronze panels above pedimented windows, of gryphon-flanked vases.
Small-pane glazing to main, hopper windows, plate-glass sash case to outer bays and attic.
INTERIOR: reconstructed 1887-8 by Sellars. Grand stair rises in 2 flights to 1st floor with fluted newels supporting bronze lamp standards, stained glass by Sellars.
BANQUETING HALL: remodelled by Sellars with Adam-style ceiling, replaced 1956 with African timber ceiling, silk frieze depicting Trades at work, 1902-03.
SALOON: Spanish mahogany panelled with plaster panelled ceiling. Glass by Guthrie and Wells 1897. Adamesque marble chimneypiece.
Main entrance: decorative mosaic floor inscribed "Trades House".
Part of ground floor absorbed into adjoining bank at No 99 Glassford Street.
Extensions of 1828 and 1838 by Hamilton. Decorations 1850 by Campbell F Bowie, now replaced. Hamilton derived the drum on Stirling's Library (listed separately), from that of the Trades House. In 1882, both Salmon and Son and Campbell Douglas and Sellars submitted designs for a new building at the site, neither was executed.
APSD. Denholm, Reid and Bolton ARCHITECTURE OF ROBERT AND JAMES ADAM. Doak (Ed) 1977, 14. GLASGHU FACIES (1872), Vol. ii, p.992. Rogerson and Leggat Smith TRADES HOUSE HANDBOOK (1961). Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.