30 GEORGE SQUARE AND 7 WEST GEORGE STREET, THE MERCHANTS' HOUSE (Ref:32689)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5917 6544.
John Burnet, 1874-8, 3-storey and basement office building, raised by J J Burnet 1907-8, by 2 storeys and an attic. Sculpture by Young. Cream ashlar sandstone; base course, channelled and vermiculated bands alternating at ground and on quoins; ground floor cornice, guilloche cill course at 2nd floor and mutule cornice with grouped brackets to original eaves above 2nd floor; Burnet Son's additional storeys with Giant attached columns on panelled dies and further mutule cornice on paired brackets; urn finials above. GEORGE SQUARE ELEVATION: 8-bay; broken and open cartouched segmental pediment over Ionic doorpiece with moulded fanlight in 2nd bay from left. Round-arched windows with masqued keystones in ground, raised basement openings and decorative railings. Architraved windows at 1st and 2nd floor, those at 1st with consoled, segmental shell pediments and balustraded balconies. Bold keystones to 3rd floor architraved windows; outer left bay broken segmental pediment over 4th floor. CORNER BAYS: symmetrical, with ground floor windows detailed as above and bowed 1st floor oriel supported by flying caryatids, with Ionic mullions and blind balconies; fish-scale carving to stone cupolas; tripartite 2nd floor windows, bipartite 3rd floor and balconied 4th floor windows; single light window under broad segmental pediment breaking eaves; above, plinth supports drum tower with domed roof and gilded sphere and ship finial. WEST GEORGE STREET ELEVATION: 5 symmetrical bays more elaborate at 1st floor. Tripartite doorway at centre with Ionic columns; round-arched bipartites flanking with masqued keystones; 3 1st floor bipartites to centre bays with broken and open segmental consoled pediments, with cartouches and symbolic figures. Outer bays with bowed oriels detailed as above (left being corner bay); bipartites to centre 3 bays at 2nd floor, tripartites in outer bays. Giant attached columns to J J Burnet upper storeys, and outer bays breaking eaves in segmental panels with balconies at 4th floor. ANCHOR LANE ELEVATION: 2 ashlar bays detailed similarly to George Street elevation, to left, without the attached columns of later storeys. Simpler ashlar bays to right. Plate glass sash and case windows; slate mansard with timber dormer windows. INTERIOR: marble lined staircases to E and N; stained glass stair window by W and J J Kier, 1877-8, and panel in W door, circa 1913; open timber roof by J J Burnet in Hall, circa 1913-14. Some furnishings imported from former Merchants' Hall in the Bridgegate and later Hall in the County Buildings, Wilson Street.
The scheme established by J T Rochead for the W side of George
Square (by his design of 2 St Vincent Place), was followed
in part by the original Burnet design of the Merchants House,
but rendered notably asymmetrical by the tower pavilion.
J J Burnet's work forms top hamper addition; a treatment
adopted in a number of central Glasgow buildings.
Information courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
Gomme and Walker 1987, pp. 157-8.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.