24 GEORGE SQUARE AND 12-16 (EVEN NOS) ANCHOR LANE (Ref:32688)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5917 6542.
James Sellars, 1874. 3-storey, mezzanine and basement 5-bay office building, with attic storey added later. Cream ashlar sandstone; vermiculated channelling alternating with ashlar bands at ground, and to quoins, cornice above ground floor; guilloche cill course at 2nd floor; decorative eaves brackets, grouped in 3s and 4s, to original mutuled main cornice. Round-arched entrance with masqued keystone moulded architrave and guilloche frieze; decorative wrought-iron 2-leaf gates and overthrow, and window guards to ground floor bipartite windows; swagged panels above bipartites, with mezzanine storey above. Aediculed windows at 1st floor each with balustraded balcony and segmental shell pediments; architraved 2nd floor and attic windows. Pilasters on panelled dies dividing attic windows modillioned cornice. Rear to Anchor Lane. Plate glass glazing pattern, with some top-hopper windows.
Forms the central of three blocks closing George Square to
W, in a style begun by J T Rochead in 1869 in his design for
2 St Vincent Place, and completed in J Burnet's Merchant's
House to N, in a continuous Italian Palazzo style (both
Gomme and Walker 1987, p.157.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.