20-40 (EVEN NOS) COCHRANE STREET, 20 JOHN STREET AND 233-235 (ODD NOS) GEORGE STREET, EXTENSION TO THE CITY CHAMBERS, AND PAIRED SCREEN ARCHWAYS OVER JOHN STREET (Ref:32675)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5945 6532.
Watson Salmond and Gray, architects; 1913-1929, large severely Greek extension to the City Chambers Building linked to the latter by paired arches over John Street. French Renaissance detailing inspired by style of Francois Mansart. CITY CHAMBERS EXTENSION: 4 storeys attic and basement, nearly symmetrical, long elevations to Cochrane Street and George Street, short facade to John Street. Polished ashlar and polished pink granite basement, channelled to ground and basement and full-height at end bays. COCHRANE STREET ELEVATION: almost symmetrical, 1-1-6-1-1 bays. Penultimate bays advanced with boldly moulded entrances; that to left roll-moulded, shouldered and corniced, that to right with deep cavetto margins of black marble and heavy consoled cornice. Good cast-iron outer grilles, inner doors and fanlight metal-framed with margin glazing. Basement windows basket-arched, otherwise square-headed. To 1st and 2nd floors central 6-bays grouped within fluted giant Ionic colonnade supporting entablature. To right, end bays flanked by Ionic columns, above door these are paired, window flanked by sidelights. To left, windows recessed in pilastered reveals with characteristic 1920's "swag" detail. Heavy mutule cornice over 2nd, 3rd floor windows recessed with consoled cornices. All windows metal-framed casements with elaborate moulded frames, mostly 3-light with small-pane glazing. Metal panels between 1st and 2nd windows, stone to left. 3rd floor set back to give attic effect, channelled masonry with bands of vermiculated rustication. Blocking course, deep block pediments over advanced bays. JOHN STREET ELEVATION: similarly detailed, central tripartite bay advanced. Steps to wide central doorway, above giant Ionic columns and pillars flank 1st and 2nd floor windows. GEORGE STREET ELEVATION: similarly detailed. PAIRED SCREEN ARCHWAYS TO JOHN STREET: pair of triumphal archways linking City Chambers with Cochrane Street extension over John Street. Polished ashlar, on base courses of polished pink granite, stone cleaned. Tall central arch flanked by paired fluted Ionic columns (unfluted Doric pilasters to inner faces) and lower arches. All arched with moulded archivolt, cartouche over central arch with coats of arms. Mutuled cornice, segmental pediment over centre flanked by die pedestals with urns. Above, deep plain panelled parapet raised over centre.
A group with 62 George Street, City Chambers.
Gomme and Walker 1987, p.192, 234, 264, 311. Doak, ed 1977, p.111, 169.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.