CLYDE STREET AND SOUTH PORTLAND STREET, SUSPENSION BRIDGE (Ref:32668)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NS 5890 6472.
Alexander Kirkland, architect. George Martin, engineer.
1851-3. Rebuilt in 1851 to replace an early 19th-century
timber footbridge, wrought-ironwork rebuilt 1871 by Bell
and Miller to reduce the camber and increase the dip by 7'.
Suspension bridge over River Clyde with single span of
Pylons are classical triumphal archways composed of fluted
Ionic columns in antis flanked by Doric pilasters (paired
Doric pilasters to bridge face) in polished honey coloured
sandstone, central arch with moulded archivolt and
keystone. These support entablature with deep plain
frieze and cornice with blocking course. The chains break
through the frieze. The deck is made of wrought-iron
lattice girders and suspended on two pairs of 4 and 5 bar
flat link chains. The walkway is tarmacadamed. The
parapet is of thin latticework wrought-iron. The bridge
retains some of its original cast-iron lampbrackets.
A group with Victoria, Albert Union Railway, King George V and Jamaica bridges.
Originally a halfpenny was charged to pedestrians.
In 1926 girders, suspenders and floor were replaced in steel.
Gomme and Walker 1987, p. 111. J R Hume 1974, p.219.
Peter Verity " The Conservation of Early Iron Suspension Bridges in Scotland" (Edinburgh College of Art Thesis, 1994)
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).