CLYDE STREET, ALBERT BRIDGE (Ref:32667)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/03/1977.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NS 5941 6444.
Bell and Miller, architects and engineers, Hanna, Donald and Wilson contractors; 1868-1871. Built to replace an earlier bridge of 1829-33. 3-span bridge over the Clyde at Saltmarket. Polished ashlar springers and hexagonal cutwaters rising to polished red granite piers and corbelled grey granite caps. 8 wrought-iron ribs per span, beaded arch ring and decorative cast-iron pierced spandrels with City coats of arms.
The engineer, 27 September 1867.
Engineering, 1 July 1870.
Square end piers with bronze profile medallion of Prince Albert and Queen Victoria. Bracketted parapet with pierced balustrade in cast-iron with coat of arms of Glasgow at centre. Intermediate granite piers with plaques recording the architects as Bell and Miller, MICE.
A group with Victoria, Union Railway, Portland Place suspension King George V and Jamaica Bridges. This is the only substantial wrought-iron arched bridge in Scotland, comparable to Westminster (London) Trent (Nottingham) and Lendal (York) Bridges in England.
Was originally a rich green, 'studded with polished knobs and set off with lines of gilt'. This colour is to be reinstated in the refurbishment approved in 2004, which will replace the balustrade. Adjacent railings flanking the Clyde are by Sun Foundry, as are also those at Westminster Bridge.
Category changed from B to A, 07 May 2004.
Gomme and Walker, 1987, p.305. J R Hume 1974, p.219. Centre Span of 114 Feet, side spans of 108 feet.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.