168 CLYDE STREET AND FOX LANE, ST ANDREW'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL (Ref:32666)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5908 6479.
J Gillespie Graham, 1814-17. Neo-perpendicular,
rectangular plan church. Cream ashlar sandstone. Base
course; hoodmoulds to pointed arch windows.
S ELEVATION: 3-bay, gabled with semi-octagonal buttresses
to centre, rising to octagonal finialled turrets. Pointed
arch doorway with nook shafts and crocketted ogee
hoodmould above. 2-leaf timber segmentally arched,
panelled doors and pointed tympanum. Cill course below
tall nave window, 3-light and transomed with curvilinear
tracery; gable culminating in decorative corbelled gabled
niche with figure of St Andrew. Pierced, coped lattice
work skew parapet. Polygonal turrets flanking (see
above). Aisle bays with 3-light windows, detailed similarly
to nave window but smaller. Angle buttresses with
pointed, cusped panels, terminating in crocketted
pinnacles; crenellated skew parapets to aisles.
E ELEVATION: 6 symmetrical bays; 2-light windows with
quatrefoil tracery at head to each bay, divided by
buttresses; doorway in outer left bay below window, with
billetted architrave; 4 centre bays with canted flat-roofed
ashlar confessional boxes at ground, each with cusped
windows in chamfered sides. Coped crenellated parapet.
5 clerestorey 2-light windows to nave behind, with
intermediate buttresses and crocketted pinnacles.
W ELEVATION (TO FOX LANE): 6-bay, detailed similarly to E
elevation without the canted projections.
N ELEVATION: shallow canted apse projecting at centre with
tall 3-light windows on each face and coped crenellated
parapet; crowstepped blank apex to gable behind, with
Diamond lead-pane glazing; slate roofs. Decorative
INTERIOR: including alterations by the younger Pugin in
1871 and 1892. Central and side aisles; plaster fan vault
with ornate bosses; keel-shaped clustered columns with
capitals; painted and gilded chevron carving to depressed
chancel arch; marble reredos and canopied marble altar.
Fleur-de-lys finials to stalls; lattice panelling to
confessional doors. Decorative stained glass lights to
apse windows modern tripartite screen between vestibule
and nave, with some etched glazing. Lady Chapel and
Chapel of Our Lord with fine tripartite, Caen stone
altars, pierced, marble coped parapets and wrought
bronze gates. Ornate stone font; polychrome marble
pulpit; marble piscina.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Plan constrained
by narrow site, but successfully designed. Original
building cost $16,000 and the college, in a similar style,
which was originally intended to accompany the church, was
abandoned for financial reasons. Close parallels in the
composition of St Stephen's, Westminster, illustrated in
Carter and Capon's book on Westminster. The church became a
cathedral in 1889. Stone cleaning was carried out in 1982.
A modern hall adjoins the building at the NE angle, by the
paved square beside the cathedral.
Gomme and Walker 1987, pp.170-2. Doak Ed 31. Further
information courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.