72 CLYDE STREET, BRIDGEGATE, MERCHANTS STEEPLE, NOW ENCLOSED WITHIN THE BRIGGAIT (Ref:32665)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5930 6466.
Completed 1665. The tall tower of the Merchants Steeple is all that remains of the Merchants Guild Hall and Hospital, built 1659 and demolished in 1817. The tower, which formerly adjoined the S wall of the tall 2-storey Merchant's House was later incorporated into the 1873 Fish Market (see separate item). Tall, slim, ashlar tower, square section with 7-storeys, basement and spire, diminishing stages at top 2 storeys and spire. EXTERIOR: fine ashlar walling. Lower 3 floors obscured by later building, clock face to 4th with pierced ashlar heart motif balustraded balcony to 5th. Tower stepped in at this and subsequent floors, all with similar balconies. Paired louvred lancets to 5th floor, traceried window to 6th floor with corbelled detail. Above this rises spire with 2 levels of lucarnes, bulbous onion finial and weathervane. INTERIOR: at present access to the tower is by an opening in the S wall, plainly originally only a window by its incomplete dressings and narrow dimensions. The basement has a wide blocked arched opening, presumably once giving access to undercroft of Merchant's House. A wide newel staircase occupying whole floor space rises through 2 floors. To the N wall at ground a handsome and elaborately roll-moulded door, and to 1st a large arched doorway with steps both now blocked but once giving access to Merchant's House. At 1st floor a complete row of corbels to E wall; corresponding row to W interrupted by the rise of the newel stair. This awkward arrangement and the different tooling and character of the stone stairs at this point would indicate some changes to floor plan at this level. At 2nd floor a timber step ladder rises to give access to intramural spiral stair in NE angle rising from 3rd to 4th floor. In addition a series of timber stairs rise around open well to top of the tower. Most probably just such a timber stair was part of the original arrangement, a series of corbels placed across angles may have given support for a stair (or internal scaffolding). Above 1st floor level there are windows to each face, at 4th floor there are large clock faces. Apart from the one roll moulded door most openings have plain internal dressings, one piece of chamfering and a worked corbel are found at basement level. There are no surviving internal fittings, a large panelled ?18th century door has at some time been fitted to close off the stair at 1st floor.
See 64-76 (Even Nos) Clyde Street.
Gomme and Walker, 1987, p.44, 307. NMRS, elevations and some plans Peter MacGregor Chalmers.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.