72 CLYDE STREET AND 135 BRIDGEGATE, OLD FISH MARKET KNOWN AS THE BRIGGAIT (Ref:32664)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/10/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5930 6465.
Clarke and Bell, 1873. Former fish market on the site of the Merchants Guild Hall (now demolished) and enclosing the 17th-century Merchants steeple to NE (see separate item). The site is an irregular triangle and consists of the Main Hall which has an elaborate cast-iron interior and the E halls of plainer construction and circa 1889 date by John Carrick, architect. The whole fish market was internally redesigned 1987-8 around the original structural features as a shopping centre. CLYDE STREET (S) ELEVATION: Main 8-bay show facade to Fish Market main hall, and to extreme right 3-bay facade of E halls.8-bay Main Halls: polished ashlar, rusticated at ground. 8-bay front with round arched openings, to 3rd and 7th bays (from left) full height pilastered vehicle entrances flanked by paired engaged giant de l'Orme columns supporting projecting entablature, elaborate cast iron outer gates and tympani. Otherwise rusticated arches to shopfronts. Cornice over ground floor, swagged occuli at 1st with decorative cast iron ventilating grilles. Decorated Doric frieze with cornice over, deep plain parapet, balustrading to centre 3 bays, over porticos plinths support winged sea horses flanking central medallion of Queen Victoria. 3-bay E section, now detached facade to E Hall, plainer than Main hall facade with 3 round arched vehicle entrances. BRIDGEGATE (N) ELEVATION: long pedimented Renaissance facade to N, painted ashlar rusticated to ground, channelled to 1st. Arcaded ground floor with main 7-bay section (facade to Main Hall) to right, full height vehicle entrances to penultimate bays flank shop fronts. Pilastered rectangular windows to 1st and 3 centre bays flanked by Glasgow City Arms and single windows.Frieze and cornice with pediment over 7-bay section with 3-light window to tympanum, akroteria and central topical urn with fish finial at apex. To E, 6-bay plainer lower section (facade to E halls) has similar baying pattern with entrance archways flanked by shop fronts. To 1st, plain rectangular windows, at angle with Merchant Lane turret oriel. MERCHANTS LANE (E) ELEVATION: brick walling. Single windows to 2 storeys at N end, attic windows light market halls. INTERIOR: Main Hall: irregular rectangle, galleried on all sides, modern stairs give access to balconies. Galleries are supported on cast iron Doric columns, the roof on plain columns. Roof structure arched iron braces with decorative traceried spandrels supporting glazed and slated roof. Walling originally faced in white glazed bricks, now only surviving to N window surrounds.E and Central Halls, lower subsidiary halls. Similar cast iron Doric columns support partly glazed slated roof.
SR Archives; D of G 1/938 dated 1889. John Carrick architect for the E addition to the Fish Market. Information by courtesy of The Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.