72 CHARLOTTE STREET, FORMER LADY AND ST FRANCIS SECONDARY SCHOOL (Ref:32662)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 04/09/1989.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5979 6454.
Jack Coia, 1963. Modern Movement block on corner site comprised of 4-storey and single storey flat-roofed sections, with basement. Concrete frame partially revealed, with blue-black brick infill and panels. Horizontal fenestration in steel cases, with clerestorey; casement windows.
S (Greendyke Street) elevation: 7-bay, stair windows in 5th bay from left, recessed above ground floor; ground floor largely brick with clerestorey to basement bays at right with segmental fanlight to stairwell above; doorway to outer left and clerestorey to ground floor. Generous horizontal fenestration to 1st floor classrooms. 2nd and 3rd floors with balconies on bevelled cantilevers horizontal glazing; recessed clerestorey lights. Cantilevered canopy roof.
E (Charlotte Street) elevation: single storey and basement gymnasium section to right, on rising ground. Detailed as S elevation at ground, with basement clerestorey; 2 large windows continuing from S elevation to outer left at 1st floor, with deep clerestorey windows to gymnasium to centre and under roofline to right. Single storey linking bays recessed to outer right with flat-roof, 2-leaf glazed doors and curved brick stairwell serving basement only to ground floor height. 2nd and 3rd floor in continuous bands of concrete brick and clerestorey.
N elevation: 2nd and 3rd floors above gymnasium roof, detailed as S elevation without recessed bay of stair windows.
W elevation: abutted at ground and 1st floor by TA hall; 2nd and 3rd floors detailed as E elevation.
Interior: tall gymnasium and galleried hall to N section. Changing rooms, classrooms and home economics rooms in 4-storey section. Floor plans dominated by brick stairwells, largely without corridors. Black tiled floors, boarded timber ceilings. Varnished timber screen to stairs continuing from basement floor to roof height. Mural frieze, 1965, on Elizabethan theme, in school hall.
This Le Corbusier-inspired design was exhibited at the RSA in 1965. Isi Metzstein was in charge of work here, and the opening on 16th April 1964, was recorded by a plaque. The Roman Catholic Convent school first opened in 1849; its closure is confirmed for 1989. The 1954 building to N, by Gillespie, Kidd and Coia (not included in current listings) bears similarities with the same architects' earlier design for Knightswood Secondary School, conceived in 1938.
Robert WKC Rogerson Jack Coia: His Life and Work (1986) pp51-4.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.