70 CATHEDRAL SQUARE, GLASGOW CATHEDRAL AND CATHEDRAL GRAVEYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS (Ref:32654)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 6010 6050.
The building history of this great cathedral is long and
complex with at least 4 or 5 campaigns of building from
the early 12th century to the early 14th century by which
time the main body of the cathedral was complete. The
spire and Blackadder aisle were not completed in their
present form before the 15th century. A new cathedral
to serve the diocese of Glasgow was begun circa 1118 and
=consecrated in 1136. A further series of building works took
place in 1180's prior to its second consecration in
1197. Fragments of this early building survive in the SE
part of the crypt.
The major campaigns of building for the present cathedral
began around 1200, but by 1240 a new and grander
layout was adopted and work on the crypt and choir
begun. Also at this time work started on the Blackadder
aisle, only to be abandoned until completion by
Archbishop Blackadder between 1483 and 1508. The last
decades of the 13th century saw building work restart on
the nave, the choir being complete by that date. In the
early years of the 15th century a serious fire damaged
the chapter house necessitating extensive repairs, and
destroyed the original timber spire. This was rebuilt in
stone by the mid 15th-century.
Though surviving the Reformation in a virtually intact
state, despite internal subdivision to form 3 parish
churches, the cathedral suffered its worst alteration in
the 19th century. The 2 symmetrical towers flanking the
W end were demolished 1846-8, and the great W window
(first opened by David Hamilton in 1812) recast by
Edward Blore. By the mid 19th century the interior was
returned to its unified state with many new fittings,
completing work begun in the choir by William Stark in
INTERIOR: Many very high quality monuments and tombs
STAINED GLASS: between 1936 and 1967 the whole nave and
choir were fitted out with stained glass windows by
Scottish and British artists replacing the
mid-19th century glass designed by the Royal Bavarian
Stained Glass Company; only a few small lights from this
scheme survive in the sacristy and SW porch.
A full description of the building history of the cathedral
is found in the Official HMSO Guidebook.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GRAVEYARD: Many good tombs and
monuments dating from the 17th century, some set into
boundary walls. Cast-iron spearhead railings and coped
walls define boundaries to graveyard.
Ecclesiastical Building in use as such. Guardianship
Monument. The cathedral is dedicated to St Kentigern or
Mungo, his tomb is in the crypt.
Scheduled Monument - SAM 90150.
Re-scheduled area 20 November 2002.
Richard Fawcett GLASGOW CATHEDRAL, HMSO 1985. Graham Forsyth
GLASGOW CATHEDRAL STAINED GLASS, 1987. Gomme and Walker,
1987 p15-39. R Fawcett, THE BLACKADDER AISLE AT GLASGOW
CATHEDRAL, PSAS, 115, 1985, p177-289. ed G E Todd, THE BOOK
OF GLASGOW CATHEDRAL, 1898.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.