CATHEDRAL SQUARE, BRIDGE OF SIGHS, GATES, GATEPIERS, AND LODGE TO BRIDGE OF SIGHS WITH 50 CATHEDRAL SQUARE (SUPERINTENDENT'S HOUSE) (Ref:32651)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 6030 6547.
David and James Hamilton architects, 1833-40. Bridge, originally spanning Molindar Burn, now spans Wishart Street. Gates, gatepiers, gatehouse (all by Hamilton) and lodge (dated 1890) sited to W of Bridge near Cathedral Square. These form Hamilton's grand processional way from Cathedral Square across the Bridge of Sighs to John Bryces monumental Screen Wall at Necropolis linking with (see separate item, Ward 24).Bridge of Sighs: James Hamilton of David and James Hamilton, 1833. Single span semi-circular arch masonry bridge crossing Wishart Road. Main span 60ft approx. Smaller asymmetrical arches allow pedestrian traffic to pass. Droved ashlar soffits and spandrels, polished voussoirs, ogee moulded arch ring. Polished coped parapet, rebuilt and stepped up at centre of arch, setted roadway. Substantial abutments and flanks.Gates and Gatepiers: Gatepiers David Hamilton, 1838, ironwork of gates by T Edington. To Cathedral Square pair of substantial square plan polished ashlar gatepiers. Chamfered arrises, brackets support corniced cope. On cope, pair of cast-iron lampbrackets.Gates: elaborate iron gates in cast panels riveted to wrought-iron frame. Centrepiece has coat of arms and inscription: WILLIAM BROWN OF KILMADINNY, DEAN OF GUILD, MDCCCXXXVIII.Lodge: David Hamilton, architect, 1839-40. Small square plan gatehouse with taller tower projecting from SE angle. Droved ashlar, polished basecourse. Door to N is round-arched and recessed within rectangular panel of masonry with bracketted lintel. Roll moulded archivolt, fanlight, double-leaf doors. Windows to main block similarly detailed, round-arched, now all blocked. To tower square-headed recessed hoodmoulded windows some with surviving sash and case windows with 4-lying-pane glazing.Foliate frieze at eaves, eaves cornice, deep plain corniced parapet.Superintendents House: 2-storey and attic lodge Tudor gothic style. Main elevation to N single storey due to steeply sloping site with simple symmetrical entrance frontage. Stugged ashlar, polished painted openings with gothic details. Steps to central hoodmoulded doorpiece, architraved door with shouldered fanlight.Windows to N elevation single light with architraves and shouldered lintels, sash and case with 4-pane glazing. Moulded eaves cornice. 2 piended dormers, end skews, end stacks with tall diamond cans, set singly or in groups, slate roofs.Other elevations asymmetrical with variety of window types, all sash and case, some 4-pane, some single light. W elevation has oriel added 1890 and dated. E elevation double gabled, to right, bipartite projecting canted window with lead roof. To left, hoodmoulded bipartite window to ground, single light above.Rear (S) elevation: with 2-window projection breaking through eaves at 1st floor in large box dormer. Single storey projecting range to left with tall diamond cans, slate roofs.
Part of Cathedral Square A group. Plaque at E end of Bridge inscribed ¿The adjoining bridge was erected by Merchant House of Glasgow to afford a proper entrance ... to the grounds in 1833¿. Foundation stone laid 18.10.33; cost £1,240.
The lodge was formerly located to the North West of the Bridge of Sighs and was removed to its present location by James Thomson in 1890 at the same time alterations were carried out to the Superintendent¿s House.
Information by courtesy of the Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. Drawings by James Thomson of Baird & Thomson showing repositioning of the Lodge and rear extension and alterations to the Superintendent¿s (then Curator¿s) House in the Frank Worsdall Collection in Glasgow City Archives ¿ Ref. TD1309/B/221.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.