3 CASTLE STREET, PROVAND'S LORDSHIP WITH RAILINGS (Ref:32648)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 6010 6550.
1471 with extensions to W of 1670. 3-storey and attic former manse. Rubble sandstone, squared for quoins and margins; chamfered arrises to most openings. E (CATHEDRAL SQUARE) ELEVATION: 3 widely spaced regular bays, each with windows of 18th century date, with additional windows flanking at ground and further smaller windows. Doorways in outer bays, that to right blocked as window. REAR ELEVATION: extended 1670 to S by gabled stair block (dated and initialled on sundial on S side); 2 further gabled bays added to W at N end, mid-17th century, and linked to 1670 addition by bay with wallhead stack; irregular openings in variety of sizes; roll-moulded surround to doorway off-centre to left. N ELEVATION: formerly crowstepped, but lost when abutted by tenement in 1840s (demolished in 1980); blank masonry, with 2 large modern windows to left. S ELEVATION: blank gable end of 1471 with wallhead stack; weathered coat-of-arms of Andrew Muirhead on club-skewputt to E. Extension to W of 1 bay, with doorway inserted across former angle (now blocked), and windows to each bay. Sundial (see above) set on former quoin. Modern timber-framed small-pane casement windows. Grey slates; coped stacks with clay cans. RAILINGS: Iron railings with mitre and shield finial and pedestrian gate, at SW. INTERIOR: low ceilings with heavy, roughly hewn beams. Modern floors. Variety of wide fireplaces; huge lintels to hooded chimneypieces, relieving arches to those at ground floor; later bolection-moulded surround.
Built in 1471 by Andrew Muirhead, Prebend of Barlanark (Bishop of Glasgow 1455-73). Last surviving example of late medieval domestic urban architecture, and of the prebendal manses of the cathedral. Later the manse for the neighbouring St Nicholas Hospital; W extension of 1670 by William Bryson whose initials are set on the sundial to S. Mid 1840s tenement demolished 1980. Former lean-to hangman's house demolished this century. First restored 1906, by the then formed Provand's Lordship Society, and most recently in 1983. Re-roofed 1978. Collection of fine 17th century Scottish furniture.
Elspeth King PROVAND'S LORDSHIP 1984. Gomme and Walker 1987, pp.18-19. Cant and Lindsay.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.