60-106 (EVEN NOS) CANDLERIGGS 3-31 (ODD NOS) BELL STREET AND 69-97 (ODD NOS) ALBION STREET CANDLERIGGS CITY HALL AND BAZAAR (Ref:32647)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5962 6511.
Complex of buildings occupying large rectangular site, buildings to N (completing the block) have been demolished.
Bazaar (former cheese and fruit market) to the S begun 1817 as open air walled market-place; walls partially rebuilt (to SE) and roofed over 1907 by JAT Houston, architect.
City Hall begun 1839-41 by George Murray, Albion Street elevation 1843 (after death of Murray), N end John Baird Snr. 1843-45 Halls reroofed and some interior work John Baird II, 1851-54. Candleriggs elevation of Halls remodelled by John Carrick 1885, and added curved range of single storey shops to Candleriggs/Bell Street corner. Arched market hall at N John Carrick with Bell and Miller 1852-53.
90-98 Candleriggs: Main hall. John Carrick, 1885. Italianate facade with rich detailing. 2-storey, 5-bay polished sandstone front with lower courses of polished pink granite.
Square-headed pilastered doorways to ground with heavy panelled doors. Flanking these, giant Corinthian pilasters divide bays, each engaged to banded piers which rise through ground and 1st floors to springing point of 1st floor windows. 1st floor windows round-arched with deep reveals, blind balustrading below. All windows with 3 large vertical glazing bars to lower part, and upper part with 5-pane glazing.
Channelled masonry at spandrel level. Pilasters support entablature with dentil band and mutule cornice. Die balustrade to parapet.
Interior: Albion Street elevation: simple astylar 3 and 4-storey 18-bay elevation to Albion Street truncated to N, arranged 10-5-3, 10 bays to S 3-storey and plainer in detail. Central 5-bays shallow advanced and taller with channelled ground floor masonry. Pilastered doorways to ground to outer bays, some with original double-leaf panelled doors.
To S 10 bays all windows plain single lights, to Northernmost bays 1st and 2nd windows architraved, corniced to 1st. To centre 5 bays inner 3 bays recessed and grouped as tripartite window with pilasters dividing lights at 1st, to 2nd consoled frieze. Flanking these, ramped architraved windows, with consoled cornice to 1st. All windows single light with either modern 3-pane glazing or sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing.
To N and centre bays continuous cornice over ground string course to 2nd at N. Each section separate main cornice, disc frieze over centre, cornice rising to stepped parapet over centre bays.
Market Hall: Pend to No 71 gives access to aisled and galleried market hall (Carrick with Bell and Miller) with elaborate and very decorative cast-iron trussed roofs. Elaborate cast-iron balconies, pierced spandrel details.
60-82 Candleriggs and 3-9 Bell Street: John Carrick, 1885. Long elevation of 2-storeys 25 bays with shops to ground and saloon above curving at corner of Candleriggs and Bell Street. Painted polished ashlar. Taller pedimented pend entrance with channelled masonry to N. Otherwise plain masonry, shopfronts to ground. 1st floor windows round-arched with pilastered reveals, 6-pane glazing. Pilasters flank bays, plain entablature. Eaves cornice and blocking course. To curved angle, wider bay (formerly pend to ground) with paired Doric anta piers and columns flanking window. Above scrolled pediment dated 1885 with fruit basket finial. Slate roofs.
13-31 Bell Street and 69-97 Albion Street: 1907, J W Houston, architect. Italianate single storey facade to S fronting Bell Street and flank Albion Street, cast-iron framed interior.
Bell Street: main elevation symmetrical 7-bay in polished red sandstone. Fluted giant engaged Ionic columns (pilasters to end and centre bays) divide bays each with large recessed opening below housing vehicle entrances to end and centre bays, shopfronts and pedestrian access to intermediate bays. Above, large moulded semi-circular arch with disc moulding to each. To central bay shallow segmental arch with foliate mouldings and cartouche. Columns support entablature and at centre bay segmental pediment.
Albion Street: long plainer elevation to Albion Street, 6-bay with channelled masonry. To Northernmost bay large roll-moulded vehicle entrance and pend, cornice over. Otherwise each bay has bipartite timber shopfront (all recently restored) under common cornice. Plain eaves band with cornice.
Interior: good cast-iron framed interior with plain cast-iron columns supporting roof trusses in 3-aisled layout. Slate and glass roof.
Information by courtesy of the Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. Gomme and Walker 1987, p.305.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.