17 PARSON STREET, MARTYR'S SCHOOL WITH RETAINING WALLS AND GATES (Ref:32619)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 6008 6584.
Charles Rennie Mackintosh (of Honeyman and Keppie),
1895-1898. Compact plan, 3-storey and basement school
in red Ballochmyle freestone, squared and snecked with
ashlar dressings. Some bracketted cill and lintel courses
often in stylised form linking closely grouped windows,
and to single windows; eaves elevation cornice in a
variety of forms.
N ELEVATION: 7-bay, symmetrical block, with flanking bays
set back and gabled. Centre bay with blocked basement
doorway and bipartite above; outer 3 bays each side with
windows to each bay, quasi-balcony across 1st floor
groups, 2nd floor groups linked at cill and cornice levels,
latter raised at centre in keystoned shaped pediments.
2-bay simple return elevations. Entrances in recessed
gables, mirrored pair, each door set in advanced panel
with keystone and ogee carving to lintel above and
distinctive flanking ornament; double doors with tear drop
panels; bracketted string course above with quasi-balcony
and 2 narrow windows lighting stairwell, and small
window at 3rd floor with bracketted cill.
S ELEVATION: 9-bay with grouped windows, advanced
square stack, with bracketted overhanging coping,
towards E. Doorway in centre bay of centre group with
bracketted porch and square fanlight above. Plain
fenestration with some linking cill or lintel details.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: similarly detailed with stairwell
defined by 2 narrow windows and mullioned and transomed
broad round arched windows above, under deeply swept
eaves; narrow stair windows to right and left
respectively. Subtle variety of windows to rest of
Small-pane upper sashes and 2-pane lowers to sash and
case windows; square lead-pane glazing in stairwell
windows. Grey slates; coped stacks. 2 ogee ventilators
with decorative knot and finial, leaded bases (formerly
INTERIOR: almost symmetrical with galleried light-well at
centre and stairs to E and W. Currently under repair
(1988). Walls tiled to wainscot level with green tiles at
top. Archways to corridors. Small-pane upper panels to
doors. Glasgow Style screens (currently removed 1988, to
be returned). Mannered details to roof trusses, and
Glasgow Style stair newels.
RETAINING WALLS AND GATES: ashlar walls enclosing entrance
courtyards, with balustrade to E and partial balustrade to
W. 2 sets of decorative wrought-iron gates.
Commissioned by School Board of Glasgow the outline of the
design follows their requirements, and complies with a
restricted site. However, distinctive Mackintosh features
are apparent, particularly in the stairwells, ogee
ventilators and interior details. The balustrade echoes that
in his earlier Queen Margaret College design, Hillhead,
1894. It is an early work by Mackintosh and contrasts with
his Scotland Street School composition of 1904. Burnet,
Boston and Carruthers 185 St James Road school 1906, gives
further instance of the School Board Schools' compact
Statutory address changed from 11 Barony Street to 17 Parson Street in 2009 following information from Glasgow City Council.
Gomme and Walker, 1987, p.220, fig.204. Information by
courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.