62 ARGYLL ARCADE, 108 ARGYLE STREET, MORRISON COURT, DAVID SLOAN'S ARCADE CAFE (Ref:32614)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 59034 65106.
Possibly by John Baird 1827-8; interior remodelled by Charles H Robinson 1900. Large bar, dining room and coffee room complex with entrances to both Morrison Court and Argyll Arcade and exceptional decorative interiors to upper floors.
MORRISON COURT ELEVATION: 3-storey, 7-bay, tenement-style with rounded angles. Painted squared and coursed masonry. Ground floor altered with evidence of segmental carriage arch in penultimate left bay, entrances to centre, left and right bays.
ARGYLL ARCADE ENTRANCE: segmental-arched columned timber entrance with deeply recessed glazed timber 2-leaf doors with sidelights leading to marble staircase and highly decorative tiled vestibule including cream, blue, green, yellow and brown patterned tiles and dado with regularly spaced floriate tiled columns.
INTERIOR: exceptional, highly decorative circa 1900 Art Nouveau scheme with outstanding carved timberwork and high quality plasterwork with Classical motifs. Ground floor altered. Timber island bar with columned timber gantry. Ornate arcaded glazed timber screen with etched glass with 2-leaf door leads to impressive panelled stairwell with mosaic floor and large wall painting at 1st floor landing. Ornate heavy dark timber staircase with decorative newel posts.
1st floor: arcaded glazed timber screens with etched glass to spine corridor with rooms leading off. To left of corridor: large dining room with timber panelled dado with bell pushes and deep frieze to cornice with low relief plasterwork with putti. Strapwork plasterwork to ceiling. Further smaller dining room with similar decorative treatment and ornate chimneypiece with overmantle mirror. To right of corridor: small bar with similar decorative treatment and further rooms including kitchen area. Glass chandeliers to principal rooms, some Art Nouveau stained glass.
2nd floor: large ballroom with vaulted coffered ceiling and parquet floor. Timber dado supports regularly spaced pilasters with plaster heads. Deep cornice with open pediments, egg and dart moulding and festoons. Classical marble chimneypiece with horseshoe tiled insert and overmantle mirror. Stained glass windows with wreath motif.
Mixture of glazing types, predominantly 2-pane over 2-pane timber sash and case windows with horns to top floor (with stained glass, see interior), some timber casement windows to 1st floor. Dormered mansard roof to outer 2 left bays with adjacent wallhead chimneystack.
Sloans is a rare example of a bar, dining room and coffee house complex with an exceptional opulent Art Nouveau interior. The upper floors contain dining rooms, smoking rooms and an impressive ballroom. The tiled entrance from the Argyll Arcade is of exceptional quality. Also of particular note is the quality of the timberwork, such as the arcaded glazed screens and impressive staircase. The decorative plasterwork is of some quality and completes the rich decorative scheme.
Probably constructed as part of the Argyll Arcade (see separate listing) in 1827-8 by John Baird, the interior was remodelled in 1900 by Charles Robinson. The later interior work was commissioned by David Sloan, a prominent Glasgow publican of the era. Known then as the Arcade Café, Kenna & Mooney note that it 'consisted of richly furnished dining rooms, coffee rooms and bars, in addition to a "cigar and tobacco divan" to which businessmen could retire'.
Charles Robinson specialised in ornate bar interiors and very few examples of his work are thought to survive. Kenna & Mooney quote the National Guardian of January 3, 1894 which described Robinson as 'one of the most successful designers of the new bar'. Category changed from B to A in November 1996.
List description updated as part of the Public Houses thematic study 2007-08.
1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1856-9). Kenna & Mooney, People's Palaces Victorian and Edwardian Pubs of Scotland (1983) pp87,104,116. Williamson et al, The Buildings of Scotland - Glasgow (1990) p171. McKean et al, Central Glasgow RIAS guide (1999) p68-9. CAMRA, Scotland's True Heritage Pubs (2007) p65.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.