ARGYLE STREET, ARGYLL ARCADE (THROUGH 98-102 ARGYLE STREET) 3-66 (INCLUSIVE NOS, LEADING TO BUCHANAN STREET) (Ref:32613)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5899 6513.
John Baird I, 1827. L-plan, 2-storey arcade, linking Argyle Street and Buchanan Street. Modern shop fronts at ground with some pilasters of 1827 retained. 16-pane glazing to 1st floor windows, with dividing pilasters and continuous dentil cornice. Curved windows by entrance blocks, and curved bay at junction. Shields on dividing cornice. Winding stone stair. Glazed cast-iron hammerbeam roof.
The Argyll Arcade is the oldest shopping arcade in Scotland and was modelled on the Parisian Arcades of the late 18th century. It is around 450' long and the developer was James Robertson Reid. Crown Arcade, 31-35 Virginia Street, nearby makes an interesting and contemporary comparison. The 3-storey public house, 61 Argyll Arcade entered through the arcade and opening onto Morrison Court behind to W is listed separately. Alterations and additions to Arcade in 1933 by Miller and Black.
The Argyll Arcade is entered at Buchanan Street via an entrance in the Argyll Chambers, 28-32 Buchanan Street (see separate listing).
List description updated, 2013.
M MacKeith, Shopping Arcades 1817-1939 (1985), pp.48-9. B. 29.9.33, P.522.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.