63 ARGYLE STREET (BUCK'S HEAD BUILDINGS) (Ref:32608)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5918 6500.
Alexander Thomson, 1863. Commercial building extended in 1864 in similar style to S, in Dunlop Street W only 3 bays remaining. 4-storey and attic, fine essay in wood-encased, masonry-concealed cast-iron framing, with Egyptian details. Painted ashlar. Modern shop fronts at
ground with frieze and 1st floor cill course.
1863 DESIGN: 10 bays with curved corner. Pilastered windows with Anthemion detail at 1st floor with chip carving to lintels. Applied, tapering cast-iron columns with wing-like capitals between 1st and 2nd floors. Decorative cast-iron balcony jettied at 3rd floor. 3rd floor windows divided by stone pillars with tapered necks, chip-carved and with capitals. Frieze with discs and cornice. Parapet with square finialled dies, divided by decorative cast-iron railings. Ashlar panel at angle inscribed "Buck's Head Buildings" and crowned by a buck couchant statue. Gabled dormer windows to each bay, set back between dies.
1864 EXTENSION: further 3-bays to Dunlop Street (remnant of warehouse), slightly advanced. Detailed as above, but with giant pilastrade between 1st and 2nd floors, with anthemion necking (no applied columns), and Greek-key chip-carving in frieze to 2nd floor (no balcony). 3rd floor windows narrower than those above and with broad, chip-carved pilasters dividing and paired capitals to each. Casement windows to 2nd and 3rd floors and top hoppers at 1st floor.
Built on site of former Buck's Head Hotel. Forms a watershed in structural logic, iron-framed (McConnell's patent) and disguised yet with applied IRON columns. Thomson's warehouse designs made reference to those of David Hamilton. Similar ornament was employed earlier by Thomson at Grosvenor Building (1859) and the Cairney Buildings (1860), and later at the Grecian Building (1865) and the Egyptian Halls (1871-3), Glasgow. The modern extension to S in Dunlop Street has followed the 1864 design in a more severe and lower key.
McFadzean 1979, pp.122-5. Gomme and Walker 1987, pp.145-52.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.