52 WESTBOURNE GARDENS, BELHAVEN - WESTBOURNE CHURCH AND HALL, CHURCH OF SCOTLAND (Ref:32605)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5602 6777.
John Honeyman, architect; 1881. Classical Renaissance church
with superimposed pedimented portico frontage. Polished
ashlar, banded masonry, stonecleaned.
E elevation; at ground, Ionic pilasters support dentil
pediment which is broken by 2-storey advanced pedimented
portico with 4-pairs of superimposed columns. Corinthian over
Ionic. At ground, smooth recessed round-arched panels with
bold keystones and rusticated margins contain square-headed
corniced windows, at centre double-leaf panelled doors. At
1st arched stained glass windows with pilastered reveals. Set
back and flanking main pediment are 2 small square open
arched bell-cotes with ogival lead roofs and iron finials.
To SE, single storey wing containing halls etc; detailed as
ground margins of main facade. Continuous dentil cornice with die-balustrade 5-bay flanks with round-arched windows to
upper level. Polished ashlar N flank with architraved,
consoled and pedimented door; cill strings. Droved ashlar S
flank with round arched gallery windows. Interior: aisleless
5-bay nave. Panel fronted gallery to 3 sides supported on
elaborately carved consoles and reached by stairs in towers.
Windows flanked by pilasters supporting deep coving; coffered
ceiling with iron beams painted and decorated with
plasterwork. Shallow organ recess flanked by Corinthian
columns and pilasters, organ 1913, with screen by Keppie.
Elaborately carved timber communion table, chairs and pulpit;
latter with walnut inlay. Stained glass by Douglas Strachan
circa 1920 and Margaret Chilton circa 1951. Flanking organ,
war memorial tablets.
To N and S stairs, memorial tablets to Dr R Drummond and Rev
W R Thomson.
Church halls to SE with timber ceiling and roof-lights.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Formerly UP church.
Part of Westbourne Gardens A group.
Gomme and Walker 1968; pp 156, 159.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.