23 SALTOUN STREET, BELMONT AND HILLHEAD PARISH CHURCH, CHURCH OF SCOTLAND (Ref:32584)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5662 6730.
James Sellars, architect; 1875-6. French Gothic church built
on the plan of Sainte Chapelle; stugged, coursed ashlar with
polished dressings, stonecleaned.
Pointed arch portal to W front with nook shafts and bands of
decorative moulding; double doors with trumeau. Large rose
window above set in pointed arched moulded recesses supported
on engaged columns; large angels carved in spandrels.
Flanking portal, full-height buttresses rise to gabled niches
linked below mains gable by blind arcade. To angles, 3-sided buttress-towers rise to hexagonal spires flanking main gable.
5-bay flanks with tall gabled traceried windows of triple
lancets and roses divided by buttresses. Gabled porch to S.
7-bay apse with similarly detailed windows. Plain parapet
with gargoyles. Slate roofs, tile cresting, elaborate fleche.
Single storey 1950's hall extension to E.
Interior with elongated engaged columns between windows
supporting ribbed vaulted roof. Gallery to W with panelled
front supported on cast-iron columns, organ to rear by H
Willis & Sons, 1876; restored 1930. Elaborately carved oak
pulpit. Interior redesigned by P McGregor Chalmers circa 1921
to give present seating arrangement; blind arcading to apse
wall with war memorials; carved timber choir stalls and
communion table of Rochette marble. Marble font with
elaborate carved oak canopy. Nave and apse windows by various
designers: Burne-Jones 1893; Cottier and Co (3)1893-1903;
Meikle & Sons, 1917; Sadie McLellan, 1958.
Part of Huntly Gardens B group.
Gomme and Walker 1968; p 174-5. Belmont and Hillhead Parish
Church Pamphlet 1960.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).