730 GREAT WESTERN ROAD; BOTANIC GARDENS, KIBBLE PALACE (Ref:32513)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NS 5694 6744.
John Kibble, engineer. Originally erected 1863-6 at Coulport, Loch Long; removed here and enlarged 1873. Low ashlar base course; cast and wrought-iron, glass parabolic and domed winter garden, keyhole shaped on plan. To S elevation, centrally placed entrance porch with 2 pedimented timber doors. Long gallery to S. at right angles to main conservatory; centrally placed drum with hemispherical dome and cupola supported internally on ring girder and barley sugar cast-iron columns with foliate capitals and elaborate brackets. Arched passage leads to main conservatory; 150' in diameter spanned by saucer-shaped dome with cupola. Dome supported by 2 rings of columns detailed as above. Within 9 marble statue groups: King Robert of Sicily by G H Paulin, Cain by Roscoe Mullins. Eve by Scipione Tadolini, Ruth by Giovanni Ciniselli, Nubian Slave by A Rossetti. The Elf by Sir Goscombe John. Stepping Stones by W Thorneycroft, The Sisters by Bethany of Warrington Wood, Oriental Slave by Scipione Tadolini.
Part of Botanic Gardens B group. Oriental Slave by Scipione Tadolini broken by vandals a few years ago (September 1994). Seriously damaged and too expensive "in terms of labour" to repair. Surviving fragments believed to be in Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery (information from Parks and Museums Department of Glasgow District Council and the Dictionary of Scottish Artists).
Information from pamphlet produced by City of Glasgow: Parks and Recreation Dept. Additional information courtesy of Iain Paterson, City of Glasgow District Council.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.