40 QUEEN'S DRIVE, FORMER CROSSHILL QUEEN'S PARK CHURCH, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS WITH RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS (Ref:32451)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5846 6218.
Campbell Douglas and Sellars, 1872-3. Rectangular-plan, Gothic former church with fine stonework detailing, side aisles and dominant, tall buttressed square tower of Franco-German inspiration at SE angle with octagonal stone spire. Squared and snecked, tooled sandstone with ashlar dressings. Base course, moulded band courses, crocketed string course to entrance elevation, eaves course, Latin cross apex finial to gable. Central gabled porch, large geometric traceried window over main entrance. Some chamfered openings, some with engaged nookshafts, predominantly chamfered cills and hoodmoulding. Ground floor openings with blind trefoil inset. Angled buttresses surmounted by gablet with blind quatrefoil inset. Stylistically similar attached single storey, rectangular-plan former hall to rear.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced central gabled porch with nookshafts and elaborately detailed hoodmoulding, pair of 2-leaf timber entrance doors set within pointed-arched niches, carved Greek cross roundel at apex. Triangular hoodmoulding over windows flanking porch. Lower single bay stairtower to left with entrance door at ground.
TOWER: 6-stage tower to right, with stages divided by corniced string courses: rollmoulded doorway with flanking colonettes and carved celtic roundel above, tall 2nd stage with small slit window, plain 3rd stage, 4th stage bellcote with pair of tall narrow lancet louvred windows and fine slender colonettes. 5th stage with fine stone work detailing including crocketed cornice and nebule moulded courses to broach, 6th stage octagonal stone spire with gableted lucarnes at base. Angled buttressed, clasping buttress to SW corner
W ELEVATION: 6 bays comprising of 5 bays of paired square-headed windows set in pointed arched hoodmoulded recesses, with large round windows above, clearstorey with 3-light pointed arched glazing pattern, single bay slightly advanced stair tower to right, with plate tracery leaded window and blind, tripartite (central lancet taller) pointed arch window above. North elevation with projecting apse partially obscured.
E ELEVATION: mirror of W elevation excluding stairtower.
Predominantly 2004 variety of multi-pane timber windows, replacement glazing, some stained glass to entrance elevation (see NOTES). Pitched roof to nave, grey slates, straight skews. Multiple rooflights (2004) to main building and apse.
INTERIOR: (2 flats seen 2010). Subdivided into 18 flats in 2002-2004. Some cast iron columns and original painted timber arched roof brace retained.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: stepped boundary wall to S, squared and snecked, triangular cope, dwarf sections surmounted by decorative railings. Pair of square plan Gothic gatepiers, angled moulded, gabled caps with carved insets; 2-leaf iron gates
An important and substantial example of Scottish church architecture at the peak of church construction in the second half of the nineteenth century, Crosshill Queen's Park Church was constructed in 1872-3 for the Church of Scotland by the Glasgow-based practice of Campbell Douglas & Sellars. Its unusual Franco-Gothic style, with delicate stonework detailing, along with landmark tower make it a significant part of the streetscape. It forms part of a group of ecclesiastical buildings overlooking Queens Park.
Established circa 1872 the practice of Campbell Douglas and Sellars was a renowned designer of churches, commercial projects and public buildings, such as the Scottish Amicable Building, St Vincent Place, Glasgow (see separate listing). Their involvement in church design stemmed from Campbell Douglas¿ earlier work. The newly established Free Church, of which Douglas was a member, provided his first independent practice with important early commissions, such as the Briggate Free Church, Glasgow and the North Leith Free Church.
Crosshill Queen's Park Church, is a fine example of Campbell Douglas & Sellars church architecture, particularly for its unusual tower, the architect of which is disputed. Buildings of Scotland attribute it to the work of JJ Stevenson, due to its similarity with Blochairn Parish Church, Glasgow. However as Stevenson left his partnership with Campbell Douglas, for London in 1870, the Dictionary of Scottish Architects associate it with the work of the French architect, Charles Alfred Chastel de Boinville, who briefly worked in the practice during 1871. The large stained glass window, to the principal elevation, was created by Charles Paine for Guthrie and Wells in 1957 and depicts the adoration of the Magi.
The listing category of the building was changed from B to A December 1989. The property was converted into flats by Quality Street in 2002-2004, at which point stained glass war memorials and other items were transferred to nearby Queens Park Church, 170 Queen's Drive, Glasgow.
List description revised 2010
J. Bett, Queen's Park High Parish Church Centennial, (1967); A. Gomme & D. Walker, Architecture of Glasgow, (1987) p174; E. Williamson, A. Riches, M. Higgs, Buildings of Scotland - Glasgow (1990), p545-546; Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 04-03-10)
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.