20 BALVICAR DRIVE, BALVICAR STREET, CAMPHILL, QUEEN'S PARK CHURCH AND HALL (Ref:32359)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 578 623.
William Leiper 1875-8, soaring stone spire completed 1883.
Originally Camphill United Presbyterian church; built on
corner site, and added to N of 1873 hall whose architect
is not known. Normandy gothic, with good sculptured detail
executed mostly by MacCulloch and Co of London. Snecked
ashlar, polished dressings, slate roofs.
Tower at corner, buttressed massive lower stages, tall
off-set and open belfry stage, octagonal stone spire;
main gabled front to Balvicar Drive with buttresses,
recessed door in gabled porch with nook-shafts, pair tall
traceried windows over and winged figure (by Mossman) all
set in big shallow arch; plainer doorway either side, that
to right in tower, twin-gabled shallow wide transept to
Balvicar Street. Galleried interior, stone columns with
decorative capitals; extensive original stencilling scheme
by Leiper survives on roof but walls now whitewashed; also
a 3-light leaded window.
INTERIOR: high timber-vaulted roof with stencilled
decoration surviving intact; pointed aisle arcades, stone
columns with foliated capitals; pulpit also big and
decorative, with canopy, organ set on gallery.
HALL: Gable to Balvicar Drive, S flank to Queen`s Park.
Gomme and Walker, pp 173f, 325, fig 154
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.