1-6 (INCLUSIVE NOS) PARK GARDENS AND PARK GARDENS LANE (Ref:32240)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5745 6619.
Charles Wilson, architect; circa 1855. Astylar
Italianate terrace of 6 houses, each with 2-bay
elevation with full-height bay windows, linked by cast-
iron balconies. 3-storeys, attic and basement; polished
ashlar, channelled at ground, mostly painted or stone-
cleaned. Wide flights of steps, with pierced and
scrolled stone parapets oversailing basement, to
tripartite doorpieces. All ground floor openings
tripartite with pilastered reveals and mullions. Ground
floor bay windows square; canted at upper floors. All
other windows architraved; consoled and corniced at 1st
floor. Sash windows; plate-glass or 4-pane glazing. Band
courses over ground and 2nd floors. Eaves cornice; plain
parapet with sculpted shell decoration over bay
windows; otherwise roof balustrade. Axial stacks, slate
roofs. Cast-iron railings to basement area.
7-bay flank to East, 5-bay flank to West; both with
centre 3 bays shallow advanced with roof balustrade
over: otherwise deep plain parapet (that to East with
incised decoration). Rear elevation with full-height
projecting square bays.
Interiors: elaborate cornice plasterwork; Corinthian
screens to ground floor. Good cast-iron balusters
with carved wood newel posts. No 1, circa 1900 upper
door panels of wrought-iron; curved inner door and
Park Gardens Lane; mews range combines as retaining
wall, droved ashlar. Vehicle openings at ground, loft
windows at 1st floor and dwarf gallery above. Corniced
stacks treated as piers; some slit ventilators. Nos 1
and 2 (rear No 2 Park Gardens) John J Burnet, architect;
1906. Stables with servant accommodation over. Ground
floor, modern window alterations. Polished ashlar; huge
lugged architrave frames ground and 1st floors. Deeply
recessed opening at ground, balcony above, roll moulded
surround. Cast-iron bombe section balustrade to balcony
with grotesque-headed handrail.
Balustraded roof parapet linking wallhead stacks.
Part of Woodlands Hill A Group.
Upgraded B to A 20.5.86
Gomme and Walker 1968; p.293. Plan of 1 Park Gardens
Lane stables and servants' quarters, dated 1906, John
Burnet and Son. SR Archives D of G 2/1669.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.