1-29 (INCLUSIVE NOS) PARK CIRCUS AND 9 PARK STREET SOUTH (Ref:32238)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5750 6643.
Charles Wilson, architect; designed 1855-6; Nos 1-16 built 1857-9; Nos 18-22 built 1861-3 (No 22 by J Boucher 1872); Nos 23-29 built 1872-3. Symmetrically arranged circus of astylar Italianate terraces around oval garden, intersected by Park Gate (E), Park Street South, and Park Circus Place (W). 3-bays per house; 3-storeys and basement. Shallow advanced central (9-bay) and terminal (3-bay) pavilions. Polished ashlar, partly stonecleaned, rusticated at ground with vermiculated margins and smooth keystones. Continuous band/string courses between floors; Vitruvian scroll band at 1st floor (much repaired at Nos 23-29) paterae at eaves course. Modillion cornice, blocking course. Steps oversailing basements to tripartite doorpieces with glazed sidelights. All ground floor openings shouldered. Upper windows all architraved with mutule cornice at 1st floor.
Plate glass or 4-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Axial stacks, slate roofs. Good cast-iron railings to basement and steps.
INTERIORS: much fine interior work survives including Corinthian screens to main rooms; cornicing and ceiling rose work; fine timber panelling and fire places; Ionic arched screens to halls; elaborate cast-iron balusters to stairs; carved timber newel posts. No 18 with fine panelled drawing room and decorative hall by William Leiper, 1891. Particularly exceptional interior at No 22 by James Boucher: Art Nouveau front door; hall with groin vaulted mosaic cupolas supported on marble Corinthian columns. Early Renaissance-style stair rising in tunnel vaults. Many elaborate art nouveau fireplaces of wood and marble, leaded glass cupola over stair. Billiard room by Salmon, Son and Gillespie 1905.
Flanks: No 9 Park Street South; 2-bay elevation with billiard room extension to rear. Polished ashlar, channelled at ground. Canted oriel window to 1st floor with cast-iron balustrade over.
No 23, flank to Park Street South; advanced 3-bay blocks; polished ashlar, channelled at ground. 1st floor window consoled and corniced; corbelled oriel window to Southernmost bay; multi-pane glazing. Paired stack linked by cornice; flanking segmentally pedimented
dormer. Mews and billiard room to rear with balustraded parapet. Similarly detailed mews to 22 Park Circus (No 9 Park Street South).
Associated mews buildings and boundary walls to rear fronting Park Circus Lane and Park Terrace Lane.
Part of the Woodlands Hill `A Group' including Park Terrace, Park Circus Place and Park Quadrant, Lyndoch Street and Lyndoch Crescent (see separate listings).
Outstanding mid 19th century circus of terraced Italianate townhouses constructed on a monumental scale around an oval plan, forming the centre-piece of the Kelvingrove Park and Woodlands area of the city. Much exceptional interior detailing, particularly at Nos 18-22.
The associated former stable mews and boundary walls fronting Park Terrace Lane and Park Circus Lane to the rear of the Park Circus terraces are an integral part of the functional planned design, adding to the wider architectural and historic interest of the group.
Nos 1-16 are shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1856-9.
1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1856-9). Plans in NMRS dated 1854-5, not as completed. Gomme and Walker 1968 p.247. Plans and photographs of 22 Park Circus interior: The Studio vol 18, 1900 pp.34-7; Academy Architecture 1898; The Studio Year Book of Decorative Art 1907 p.109. Service (ed) 1975, p242. Elizabeth Williamson, Anne Riches, Malcolm Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland - Glasgow (1990) p 286, pl 34.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.