416 AND 420 GREAT WESTERN ROAD/433 NORTH WOODSIDE ROAD LANSDOWNE PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) (Ref:32205)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5755 6694.
John Honeyman, architect, 1863. Sculptor; John Mossman. T-plan early English apsidal church with tower and spire at SE. Coursed rubble with polished ashlar margins; slate roofs. West front: angle buttresses rising to columned pinnacles. Elaborate pointed arch porch with dog-tooth moulding: deeply recessed paired doors under moulded pointed arch supported on nook shafts of polished granite, with stiff leaf ashlar capitals. Porch flanked by deep buttresses with blind arcading continuing across to gabletted angle buttresses, gablet with roundel above arcading between buttresses. Stepped triple lancet above. Low pseudo-aisles, also butressed and with columned pinnacles. Transepts with 3 lancet windows over blind arcade. Tower in 3 stages: 1st stage buttressed with tripartite window over door; 2nd with 2-light louvered openings. 3rd stage more elaborate: plate tracery windows with gables, rising into spire; octagonal piers rise to pinnacles at angles. Tall very slender spire with niches and band of diaper work midway. Church surrounded by low ashlar wall with decorative cast-iron railings; intermediate gabled ashlar piers and gatepiers. Interior: aisled corridors open through doors into the main body of the church. Gallery on 3 sides with panelled front supported on wooden brackets, and at transepts on cast-iron clustered columns. Ribbed tunnel-vaulted ceiling supported on stone corbels. Clustered shafts of red marble with carved capitals and corbels support ribs of vaulted apse ceiling. Altar: marble, coloured marble inlay and colonnette shafts. Oak panelled apse with War Memorial triptych by Evelyn Beale 1923; 3 apse windows by Ward and Hughes of London 1865. Transept windows by Alfred Webster 1913 and Gordon Webster 1950-60. Memorial brass plaque to Alfred Webster in S transept. Medallion portrait to Rev John Eadie by Mossman 1879, in vestibule. Hanging brass lamps circa 1920.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Originally UP Church.
Upgraded B to A 20.5.86
Information courtesy of the Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. Gomme and Walker 1968; pp155; 172-3 A M
Doak (ed) 1977. P85.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).