300 GREAT WESTERN ROAD/HOLYROOD CRESCENT ST MARY'S EPISCOPAL CATHEDRAL (Ref:32198)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5774 6682.
George Gilbert Scott, architect, 1871-8. Spire by John Oldrid Scott, completed 1893. Cruciform aisled church with early English detailing, simple tracery. Stugged and snecked ashlar wallings, polished freestone ashlar margins. 5-bay nave with angle buttressed aisles; round clerestory windows linked by blind arcade. West front: 3 tall lancets above pointed-arch portal surmounted by 3 gablets; recessed paired cusp-head doors. 5 plate tracery aisle windows. Corbel course at eaves; slate roofs. Tower in SE angle; 3 main stages with angle buttresses. Lowest stage plain with lancet windows; 2nd stage with lancets in groups of 3. 3rd stage with plate tracery louvered openings; deep band of ornamental diaper work in spandrels. Above this, corbel table with parapet and bartizans at angles. Above rises facetted spire; lowest part with slender window lucarnes at cardinal points. At angles, lucarnes with sculptured figures of saints. Spire tapers to a point under ball finial and metal cross. Interior: 5-arch arcade on piers/clustered columns separate nave from aisles. Open timber roof; trusses rest on engaged stone columns. Crossing with fan-vaulted roof. Octagonal ashlar pulpit supported on polished granite colonnettes; font on marble base, also with octagonal ashlar basin on polished granite colonnettes; elaborate carved oak canopy over font. Organ in S transept; wrought-iron chancel screen. Carved oak reredos by R Lorimer with painted panels by Phoebe Traquair, circa 1920-21. Stained glass, circa 1880 John Hardman and Co London and Birmingham.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Raised to Cathedral status in 1907. Completed at a cost of $35,000.
Plans of tower and design for pulpit signed JOS; design for font signed GGS in Glasgow University Archives. Gomme and Walker p169. Information by courtesy of the Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. Peter Savage Lorimer and the Edinburgh Craft Designers, 1980 p 179.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.