GREAT WESTERN ROAD BRIDGE OVER RIVER KELVIN (Ref:32197)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 20/05/1986.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5746 6697.
Bell and Miller, engineers; Morrison and Mason, contractors; Sir W Arrol, iron and steel work. Begun April 1890, opened September 1891. 4-span depressed arch cast-iron road bridge; 2 main arches spanning
River Kelvin, 2 smaller outer arches over banks; eastern most spans South Woodside Road to which it is linked by a scale and platt stair. Abutments, piers and approach walls of red and grey granite; ribs to spans and parapets of cast-iron. Square of octagonal engaged pillars with foliate capitals support crenellated parapet enclosing top of pier. Main span 9 ribs; outermost with nailhead detail to archring arris, traceried spandrels and City of Glasgow arms; 6 ribs to subsidiary arches. Cast-iron traceried parapet linking crenellated piers; latter with polished red granite plaque commemorating official opening of the bridge.
Stairway to South Woodside Road - stone scale and platt stair with traceried parapet supported on cast-iron columns.
Built on the site of a previous bridge (1840) fragments of the piers of the old structure survive. Total cost of new bridge £38,578. Granite from Kemnay and Corennie.
shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (circa 1892). John R Hume, Industrial Archaeology of Glasgow (1974) p160. Williamson, Riches and Higgs, Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow (1990), p629. RCAHMS and Jelle Muylle, Glasgow Corporation Water Works Related Structures, Phase II: Milngavie / Craigmaddie reservoirs and Glasgow City Centre Supply Distribution (survey report, not published, 2008).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.