31, 33, 35 LYNEDOCH STREET AND 92, 96 WOODSIDE TERRACE LANE, FORMER TRINITY COLLEGE (Ref:32171)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5766 6622.
Charles Wilson, architect, 1856, college and adjacent church (to Lynedoch street) latter gutted by fire in 1903 and incorporated into college as library in 1909. Refurbished interior by D Thomson and Colin Menzies 1909. 2-storey building with tall Lombardic towers. Polished ashlar, stugged at basement, channelled at ground at door to former church and ground floor pilasters. Continuous bands of Vitruvian scrolls at 1st floor forms base for continuous plinth below upper storey windows. Heavy cornice with dentil moulding and frieze with wreaths; deep plain parapet.
Elevation to Lynedoch Place; 5-bay with advanced channelled centre bay with monumental doorpiece, rising above latter to square campanile. Arched doorpiece with blind fanlight supported on bracketted reveals and surmounted by corbelled balcony with solid and balustraded parapet. All windows round arched with channelled architraves at ground; 1st floor windows in rectangular recess with double pilasters and elaborately carved spandrels. Tower with small corbelled balconies at 2nd floor level (all elevations) to tall arched pilastered window. Rising above are groups of 3 elongated arched openings deeply recessed and moulded. Upper cornice boldly corbelled out to parapet with cast-iron balcony and central bell-house with bracketted cornice.
Elevation to Lynedoch Street; 5 western bays detailed as above. 5-bay advanced pavilion to eastern end (former church). Central 3-bays advanced; paired engaged Corinthian columns at former gallery level support pediment. Ground floor windows round-arched; at centre bay bipartite with columnar mullion. Flanking pediment bays containing arched doorpieces rise to square towers, smaller though similar in detail to main tower. Top corbel table surmounted by stone parapet of open balustrade linking piers at angles, with obelisk pinnacles over.
Main elevations surrounded by cast-iron railings with square ashlar piers. The east pavilion has 2 flights of stone steps rising symmetrically to raised platt with parapet and piers supporting decorative cast-iron lamp brackets (McFarlane & Co). Retaining wall of steps bull-faced with ashlar coping. Rear elevation to Woodside Terrace Lane in 3 irregular main sections; all ashlar polished, droved or rusticated.
Part of Woodlands Hill A Group.
Plans in NMRS dated September 1856.
Gomme and Walker 1968, pp92-9, 249.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).