VICTORIA ROAD, ST JOHN'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH (Ref:31769)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 040 592.
1830-40, Patrick Wilson, Edinburgh, architect. Simple church substantially altered and encased in Italianate style, and
re-fitted internally, by Thomas Mackenzie, Elgin, 1844.
Cruciform plan, orientated N/S. Ashlar frontage, dressings
and belfry; coursed rubble and harled flanks.
Ashlar gable to street with wheel window with flanking blind
panels; outer giant pilasters flanking full width pediment
supported by pilasters. 3-bay arcaded portico across the full
width of gable; 4 stage campanile to right (E) with open
balustraded arcades to 3rd and 4th stages. Shallow piended
roof with corbelled eaves course and weathervane of St John's
cross surmounted by golden cock. Campanile linked to E
transept by 5-bay open arcade similar to portico. Square
windows set high in wall to aisle with simple circle
sectioned tracery; semi-circular apse with triple light
stained glass window. Round-headed paired lights to E and W
gables. Deep eaves; slate roof.
INTERIOR: simple interior with plain walls and flat
coffered ceiling; mosaic floor. Oak seating and pulpit; brass
altar rail and eagle lectern. Circular roof light at
crossing. Latticed cast-iron balustrade to narrow gallery at
S end of church.
Mural paintings in apse, including one depicting the Last
Supper, by William Hole (1907). Further painting by same
artist at font of Christ blessing little children (1911).
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
First Rector of Forres visited Florence during 1830's and
is said to have sketched church there on which to base design
of St John's. Stained glass by Barnett of Newcastle in
apse. 3 windows in memory of Edward Dunbar of Seapark,
Kinloss (d. 1858 aged 3). Sir Alexander Gordon-Cumming (d.
1868) and John Grant of Moy (d. 1867).
Former Item 154 (1983 Revised List)
Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, (1883) p.49. NEW
STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiii (1842), p.164-5. FORRES GAZETTE, 5
July, 1844; report of re-opening. Further information by
courtesy The Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.