TOLBOOTH STREET, FALCONER MUSEUM (Ref:31747)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: 132-134,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NJ 037 589.
A and W Reid, 1868-70. Italian Renaissance. 2 storeys, 3-bay entrance to N, 6-bay elevation to Tolbooth Street. Finely stugged ashlar with polished ashlar dressings, rubble flanks to S and E. Vitruvian scroll between ground and 1st floors, rosettes in frieze, cornice, die parapet with terminal finials to both facades. N FACADE: shallow advanced centre bay with paved Roman Doric columned portico; pilastered and shafted round-arched tripartite above, with broad outer pilaster strips supporting frieze inscribed "Falconer Museum" and pediment enclosing portrait bust and crowning anthemion. Outer bays with round- arched pilastered windows in each floor, shell decoration and portrait-mask keystone at ground, 1st floor windows recessed in panels. W ELEVATION: similar details, 2 centre bays advanced with panelled parapet; all 1st floor windows bipartite. Piended slate roof.
The Museum was founded by bequests by Alexander Falconer in
1856, and by his brother, Dr Hugh Falconer. W facade
commemorate's (left to right) Hugh Miller, Sir Walter Scott,
Sir Davie Brewster, Edmund Forbes, Dr John Malcolmson and
Former Item 133 (1983 Revised List)
INVERNESS ADVERTISER, Sept 18, 1868. Advertisement for
tenders. Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, iii, (1883)
p.48 J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), p.257.
Plans with Elgin Library, Forres, DAW P2141.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.