HIGH STREET, TOLBOOTH (Ref:31692)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 30/03/1983.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 3732 5892.
William Robertson, 1838-9. Scottish Baronial. Finely stugged
ashlar, rubble to Tolbooth Street; tooled ashlar dressings.
3-storey courthouse, with imposing 3-stage tower and belfry
much resembling its predecessor. Entrance on W face of tower
with round-arched head in deeply splayed reveals. String
course rising over door, and window on N elevation. Round-
arched windows above with string course raised as square
hoodmould over; corbelled stepped parapet with bartizans;
smaller clock stage with similarly detailed parapet bartizans
with conical caps. Tall belfry stage with round-arched
openings, cable moulded cornice, tall bell-cast roof with
crowning cupola; weather vane with gilded cock.
Courthouse and jail to E and S; 3 storeys, 2 bays(W) to High
Street, 9 bays(E) to Tolbooth Street. Square-headed windows
to High Street with corbelled, squared bartizans to outer
bay. Courtroom to S with 2 round-head windows at 1st floor E
and W; 3 smaller round-headed windows and pend to ground
floor. Tolbooth Street; multi-pane glazing. 4 bays to jail,
facing E to Tolbooth Street.
INTERIOR: vaulted rooms in tower; courtroom with coffered
ceiling stained glass windows; some late 19th century
courtroom fittings survive.
Built on site of previous Tolbooth. Juts into High Street;
corner site with Tolbooth Street. Cells remain within.
Building now used as Moray District Record Office.
Stained glass window depicts St Laurence, patron saint of
Forres; gifted by Mr William Smith of Colithie, Huntly, a
native of Forres. Provost's Chair, 1893. Pair of Provost's
lamps in front of main entrance.
Unfortunate insertion of ventilation grills in some upper
window cills (circa 1980).
Former Item 77 (1983 Revised List)
Howard Colvin, BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS,
1600-1840 (1978), p.699. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xii,
p.164. J and W Watson MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED, (1868), p.256-7.
Robert Douglas, ANNALS OF THE ROYAL BURGH OF FORRES (1934),
pp.285, 296. Original plans with Moray District Record
Office, Forres. Also illustrations of previous Tolbooth.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.