Historic Scotland Data Website
Results New Search

9 WEST ROAD, INGLESIDE (FORMERLY THE COTTAGE) (Ref:30914)

This building is in the Moray Council and the Elgin Burgh. It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.

Group Items: N/A, Group Cat: N/A, Map Ref: NJ 208 626.

Description

Style of James Gillespie Graham, 1816. Single storey

house on raised basement, 4-bay, asymmetrical. Coursed

rubble to basement and flanks; regularly tooled ashlar to

remainder, polished ashlar dressings. Slightly advanced

entrance porch approached by bridge oversailing raised

basement. Rectangular hoodmoulds to door and all front

ground floor windows; Gothic arch moulds to canted bay

window rising full height on E gable.

Bowed bay window also rising full height on N elevation

with bowed piended roof and long windows. Gothic

glazing pattern; shallow piended roof; deep stone

eaves.

INTERIOR: Gothic rib vaulting to entrance hall; original

front door with Gothic glazing pattern; original Gothic

panelled doors.

Rubble garden walls.

Notes

Steeply sloping site. Appears on Wood's Town Map of 1822 as belonging to Miss Ross. Deeds said to date from 1813. Osscastle House, Biggar also by Gillespie Graham is almost identical to Ingleside. Former Item 217 (1981 Revised List).

References

J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), p.138. Robert Young, ANNALS OF THE PARISH AND BURGH OF ELGIN (1879), pp.251, 400.

© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: hs.listing@scotland.gsi.gov.uk. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.

Results New Search

Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.

ACategory A

Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).

BCategory B

Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).

C(S)Category C(S)

Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).