SOUTH COLLEGE STREET, ANDERSON'S INSTITUTION AND GATEPIERS (THE ELGIN INSTITUTION FOR SUPPORT OF OLD AGE AND EDUCATION OF YOUTH (Ref:30895)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 221 627.
Archibald Simpson, 1830-33. Greek Revival. Large 2-storey H-plan main range with school to S. Polished ashlar to front (N) facade, finely tooled ashlar to flanks, polished ashlar dressings. 14-bay main elevation, the outer 3 bays being advanced and pedimented. Centre Ionic portico, distyle in antis with frieze, cornice, and block pediment supporting sculptured figures. Set back behind pediment circular domed cupola on square plinth, with 8 Corinthian pilasters between louvred openings. West elevation: 7 bays, and 2nd and 6th bays being advanced with hexastyle Roman Doric portico between. Lying-pane glazing. Corniced stacks; shallow piended slate roof. INTERIOR: domed and pilastered entrance hall with coffered ceiling; plain staircase. Pair single monolith panelled gatepiers; square copes with egg and dart frieze. Cast-iron railings. Coursed rubble garden walls with dressed copes.
Founded by Lieutenant General Anderson (1746-1824)
as school for young and home for old. Sculpture over
portico depicts Gen Anderson giving food to old and learning
Inscription above portico reads "Elgin Institution for
Support of Old Age and Education of Youth".
For School, now East End School, see Institution Road.
Former Item 22 (1981 Revised List).
H B Mackintosh, ELGIN PAST AND PRESENT (1914) p.125-126.
INVERNESS JOURNAL, Jan 15, 1830. Further information by
courtesy of The Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.