PLUSCARDEN ROAD, GRAY'S HOSPITAL (Ref:30864)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 20/08/1981.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 2078 6254.
James Gillespie Graham, 1815-19. Classical; 3-storey,
9-bay giant pilastered facade of polished ashlar with
Roman Doric tetrastyle portico supporting entablature and
bold panelled parapet. Central door, at head of steps,
set in wide panel with fanlight above. Giant pilasters in
outer bays support entablature and die balustrade; 2nd
floor windows enlarged to break the frieze; 12-pane
Above and behind portico, octagonal stage with pedimented
clock faces on alternate elevations supports drum with
louvred bull's eyes, copper dome and crowning cupola.
INTERIOR: Modernised circa 1980.
Corner site with West Road. In 1808 Dr Alexander Gray, who had made a fortune in India, died and left $20,000 for a hospital for "The Sick of the Poor in the Town and County of Elgin".
Former Item 180 (1981 Revised List).
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiii, p.10. Howard Colvin,
BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS, p.357.
H M Mackintosh, ELGIN PAST AND PRESENT, (1914), p.159-160.
EDINBURGH EVENING COURANT, Feb 25, 1815.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.