NORTH COLLEGE STREET, ELGIN CATHEDRAL "BISHOP'S HOUSE" (Ref:30854)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 221 630.
16th century; rectangular 3-storey block, stair tower to S gable with small wheel stair, corbelled out upper stage N elevation. Later ruinous wing to SW. Rubble; re-roofed later 19th century. Gabletted crowsteps; one skewputt with arms of Patrick Hepburn dated 1557; another with double faced mask. Small windows; some blocked. Various coats of arms.
More correctly it is likely that this was the Precentor's
Manse, where the Bishop might have lodged when visiting
the Cathedral from Spynie Palace.
SW wing appears added by Earl of Dunfermline late 17th
century; house renamed Dunfermline House. Unexecuted scheme
for restoration by R Rowand Anderson, 1892; plans
and drawings with Chief Executive, Moray District and
Former Item 170 (1981 Revised List).
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
MacGibbon and Ross CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF
SCOTLAND, ii, p.58-60. R G Cant and I G Lindsay, OLD ELGIN
(1945, 1954 ed), p.12-13.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).