41 MOSS STREET, SOUTH VILLA, GARDEN WALLS AND ICE HOUSE (Ref:30839)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 218 624.
William Robertson, dated 1830. Ashlar to front, finely tooled ashlar to canted bays and coursed rubble to flanks and to 2-storey, 1-bay wing to E: polished ashlar dressings. 2-storey, 3-bay villa with 2-storey canted bays projecting on return elevations. Centre entrance fronted by semi-circular portico with Greek-Doric columns. 2 flanking windows with bracketted anthemion cornices, similarly detailed 1st floor windows, pedimented at centre. Shallow recessed wallface between windows and angle. 8-, 9- or 12-pane sashes; blind boxes; original cast-iron railings over portico and canted bay balconies. Deep eaves, shallow piended slate roof with paired centre chimneys. Coursed and coped walls to Moss Street with 4 monolith panelled gate piers and one pair ashlar end piers, each having copes decorated with Greek key pattern border and anthemion motif. Cast-iron gates. Coped rubble garden walls. Domestic ice-house in garden.
Built for Mrs Grant of Elchies.
Advertisement for tenders for "cottage to be built
adjoining the Rothes Road" by William Roberton Architect, almost certainly refers to South Villa, William Robertson had extended
Western Elchies in 1828 besides other commissions for the
Grants of Elchies.
Former Item 155 (1981 Revised Lists).
ELGIN COURIER 12 Nov., 1830; advertisement for tenders.
J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED, (1868), p.208-9.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.