50-52 HIGH STREET (Ref:30780)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 20/08/1981.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 217 628.
Dated 1694; 3-storey and attic, 3-bay merchant's house with arcaded ground floor; harled rubble, stone margins. 4 round-headed arches in ground floor (one leading to pend) resting on squat pillars with square moulded capitals. 1st and 2nd floor windows slightly enlarged in early 19th century, with tooled margins; attic window E gable with original roll moulding; 2 swept dormers in stone slab roof; 3 smiliar dormers of varying size to rear; crowsteps; moulded copes to gables chimneys. Contemporary 3-storey irregular 2-bay gabled and crowstepped wing to rear with 2 chamfered foorways, one probably giving on to scale and plat stair. No remaining original internal features except portions of stair. Further 2-storey, 3-bay building of 17/18th century date giving onto close; rubble with chamfered mouldings to door and windows. Large later 19th century warehouse of 2 storeys, 6 bays. Rubble, stugged and tooled dressings. Single storey 3-bay side elevation of 48 High Street flanks close.
Dated on skewputts, in initials AO and IH for Andrew
Ogilvie, merchant, and Janet Hay his wife. Cobbled and
paved pend and close with stone runnels.
Former Item 95 (1981 Revised List).
H B Mackintosh, ELGIN PAST AND PRESENT (1914), p.10. R G
Cant and I G Lindsay, OLD ELGIN (1945, 1954 ed), p.20.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.