HIGH STREET, LADY HILL, DUKE OF GORDON MONUMENT (Ref:30775)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 20/08/1981.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 211 628.
William Burn, architect, Edinburgh, 1839. 80 feet high Roman Doric column with later (1854-5) statue of Duke of Gordon in robes of Chancellor of Marischall College Aberdeen. Sculptor, Thomas Goodwillie; architect (1854-5), Mackenzie and Mathews, Elgin. Stepped plinth; cast-iron spearhead railings with iron stiffeners enclose monument.
Plaque records that monument was erected in memory of
George, 5th (and last) Duke of Gordon by public subscription.
Following a bequest by Alexander Craig of Craigton
and members of the Morayshire Farmers CLub, the statue
was added in 1855, designed by Handyside Ritchie and carved
by Thomas Goodwillie of Elgin. The Duke is portrayed wearing
the robes of Chancellor of Marischall College, Aberdeen.
William Burn gave his architectural services free of
Former Item 90 (1981 Revised List).
H B Mackintosh, ELGIN PAST AND PRESENT (1914), p.173-4.
J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), p.142.
ELGIN COURANT, 15 February 1839 and 3 August 1855.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.